Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Overture w/ext Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many consistent months does a domain have to receive type in traffic to show up on overture? Why do some some show up, while others do not?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Month(s) doesn't matter, it's just the previoius month.

For example, let's say you looked up the following domain:

Overture Results: ohmygosh.com 47

What that means is that last month on Yahoo (and all engines using Yahoo search results), users have searched the term "ohmygosh.com" as a search term 47 times that month. It is only an indicator of type-in traffic.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh, I know that...I'm just wondering why some domains never show up, even though they consistently receive type-in traffic each month.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
users just don't search them as a search term. The more tech saavy the audience visiting a domain, the more likely it will probably be to have a lower ovt/with ext score even though it gets good traffic. Users just know how to type it in to the address bar rather than search it as a term. That's my take on why, would be curious to here others.

For example, dnforum.com only shows "53" ovterture w/e score. That's most likely because we know where the domain goes and don't really have any reason to search for the url unless we want to check ranks for seo.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so your saying if people are just typing a domain into the address bar, ovt w/e is lower than if they were putting the "name+ext" into a search bar?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have wondered that myself , only conclusion I can come to is that overture as one entity does not cover every type-in search, I also have some high overture w/ext names that recieve less traffic than a couple lower ovt w/ext names , along the same lines I guess.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Searchsix.com said:
I have wondered that myself , only conclusion I can come to is that overture as one entity does not cover every type-in , I also have some high overture w/ext names that recieve less traffic than a couple lower ovt w/ext names , along the same lines I guess.

See my theory above about how educated / internet saavy the user audience is. Would you say this proves true with the domains you have mentioned?

* Remember also that it's probably possible for a single person to skew the results heavily. For example, someone repeatedly clicking the search button just cause they have a slow connection, or just by poor faith domainers trying to artifically inflate the ovt scores on their own domains.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
See my theory above about how educated / internet saavy the user audience is. Would you say this proves true with the domains you have mentioned?

Yes , I would agree with that 100%.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
shouldn't it be the other way around though? getting direct type-ins should make the ovt w/ext higher than with an ovt w/ext type-in to a search bar?

nevermind that, it is called an overture "search" term.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
overture only calculates from the search engine and not an address bar, more educated surfers will use the address bar before they type a domain w/ext into a search engine.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
right, I just caught that..

I guess the domains I was wondering about, have internet savvy individuals visiting..and that would explain the lack of increase or not showing up on ovt.

Thanks for the input NameYourself & searchsix. I don't why that didn't cross my mind.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
saw that , we posted at the same time.

NameYourself has a good theory there , I have a typo of a free music download site that has only ovt w/ext 65 or so , but it gets about 50 to 60 typeins a day, younger uneducated surfers , normally with a domain 65 w.ext you might be looking for 15 to 20 a day.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just have many domains with consisent type-in traffic that don't match their number of visitors or have no overture period..it makes them a lot easier to sell with a solid ovt w/ext.

Thanks, NameYourself for clarifying that for me. It makes complete sense, and I'm sure if I would have thought about it longer, I would have realized that. Sorry for the dumb question..lol.

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ovt tool isn't perfect either. I have a domain that had an ovt 90 in May, ovt 123 in June, and ovt 0 in July but it's had consistent traffic.

I also noticed a few domains drop from 5000+ to just a couple of hundred but I was fairly certain their traffic wouldn't have dropped that drasticaly, and the next month they were back up above 5000. In fact, typos of one of the domains that dropped had higher results than the correct spelling.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know google toolbar and yahoo toolbar figures instead

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an overture with ext domain rated at "40" it gets 120+ type-ins a day, its not a typo and more like something someone would naturally type in...thus less "searches" and more direct visits...I also saw one last week that was a TYPO and only rated 250 or so and got 600+ uniques a day...obviously people arent gonna be searching for the typo in most cases and are more prone to just mess up with typing in the URL, a same type of this typo I have with an ovt rating of 200+ conversely just gets the expected 200-300 a day...so it very much depends on the domain and if its a type-in natural word/site or typo...the ovt ext numbers a very mere indicator of traffic...in fact some of the best pure type-in domains have low exts and are never "searched" for....it's all very confusing imo, guess thats what real STATS are for! Hope this helps...some domain with ovt ext are great and other get NO traffic, thats why you gotta be keen in what you buy...if it just doesnt make sense then you are probably right!
(i.e. fwgehegfqff.com having an ovt ext of 900, etc...but fishingtackle.com being ovt w/e of 900 makes sense)

Chris

J2theIZZO

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also don't forget the limit which in the case of US overture means any term that has an overture score of less than 25 shows up as 0 in reality.

There could be loads of domains out there getting searched in the search engines, but because the term (or domain) was only searched 24 times it would show up as a no result.

This applies more to lower score domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom