Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Ovt Extensions... Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What would you guys say a .com with 20K overture woud be worth?..

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yep no - in the name either..

Getting some pretty good typeins.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"yep no - in the name either.." ?? Do you mean with or w/out the ext?

If it's hyphenated name with ext the results are likely worthless. I have seen many names like that with huge suggestion tool numbers which get almost no traffic as I suspect OV treats the hyphen as a space and not a real hyphen.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well as i said.. it has no hyphen.

So 20K Ovt
No -
.com
Getting 2-400 typeins a day ( pure typeins.. no referrers etc )

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
typeins said:
yep no - in the name either..

Getting some pretty good typeins.

Yep No .. what dose that mean?

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What i meant to say was it doesnt contain a hyphen.. didnt put in a ,

Sorry its 5:18 am here at the moment and the brain isnt 100% :)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
20,000 w/ .com extension?

If it's a type in domain for real (and not some fad/screwup) at least $50k.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah its mainly US traffic.. its not a fad domain either.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
forget the OVT, 200-400 type ins per day means its probably worth $1000-$5000 depending on CTR and CPC of the topic area

hifi2

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to be REALLYlucky these days to get a 200-400 typeins (non-typo or TM) name for less than 5k.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is what i dont like about the current PPC only valuation everybody puts on things, sure its fantastic in general as a domain should be making some cash for ya but Some names in my opinion are way more valuable than $x X's their earnings!! I'm sure there are dozens of names i can think of that only get 50 typeins a day yet they wouldnt sell for less than 100K because of their brandability.

Not saying mine is one of these.. but i dont like how these days names are only valued on their PPC earnings.. I have friends who have sold names for 50-100K in the last 6 months who's names didnt get more than 50 typeins a day.. ( no they dont bother listing the sales publically either so i doubt ya read it anywhere )

As for the overture stuff.. to be honest i had never even looked up any of my domains on the overture suggestion tool till the other week.. only reason i did was because everybody keeps talking about it non stop around here :) All the names i have were registered / purchased purely because they were common phrases, terms or whatever.. I suppose i probably should have been doing a lot more research before this point, but hey if it aint broke dont fix it hehe

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
typeins said:
....i dont like how these days names are only valued on their PPC earnings..

That's exactly what I have been saying for a long time. It seems most look strictly at the PPC and little more, saying it should sell for 3 to 5 yrs of income, or so.

We need to often add substantially for the value of the name itself, regardless of PPC, depending on the name and assuming its a non-typo and non-TM name.

Keep in mind the domain may be used for a website selling lots of high profit products, far more value than PPC income. i.e. I understand with the recent 160 million $ big sale the buyer went far beyond the logical ppc value of the portfolio.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more Trader names are simply worth way way more than their PPC income.. Unless of course the are something like domain-name5435-com.com :) in fact some names which make no money at all on the PPC style valuation model i know have sold for amazing amounts of cash, not during the whole "dot com boom" either i'm talking the last 6-12 months.

I didnt even know the industry had become this mechanized so to speak until i came across dnforum the other week ( i had ages ago but didnt hand around ).. sure i may be a newbie to dnforum and this whole new world of PPC only valuations.. but the people i know who have large portfolios have never based their names value on PPC and these are guys with 10,000 names etc..

I think ( hope ) the industry realises that we are more like the property ( webfathers page from back in the day ) market than we can imagine, some blocks of land are worth buying even though theres no roads nearby because of what might be there in the future and others are like shopping malls with massive amounts of customers already. I know for a fact a lot of people buying domains still dont really take into account the PPC income. I mean yes it should be factored into the sale, but i dont think it should be the most important factor either.

haha that analogy sounds really gay, but i guess it is easy to relate to.

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
typeins said:
I couldnt agree more Trader names are simply worth way way more than their PPC income.. Unless of course the are something like domain-name5435-com.com :) in fact some names which make no money at all on the PPC style valuation model i know have sold for amazing amounts of cash, not during the whole "dot com boom" either i'm talking the last 6-12 months.

I didnt even know the industry had become this mechanized so to speak until i came across dnforum the other week ( i had ages ago but didnt hand around ).. sure i may be a newbie to dnforum and this whole new world of PPC only valuations.. but the people i know who have large portfolios have never based their names value on PPC and these are guys with 10,000 names etc..

I think ( hope ) the industry realises that we are more like the property ( webfathers page from back in the day ) market than we can imagine, some blocks of land are worth buying even though theres no roads nearby because of what might be there in the future and others are like shopping malls with massive amounts of customers already. I know for a fact a lot of people buying domains still dont really take into account the PPC income. I mean yes it should be factored into the sale, but i dont think it should be the most important factor either.

haha that analogy sounds really gay, but i guess it is easy to relate to.

don't worry. only weak names are sold for their 'income' alone. good to great names are always sold for their meaningfulness, significance and relevance - in addition to their traffic/income (if any.) which is just an extra 'added value.' on top of the name's worth alone.

nobody is fool enough to part with their great names just for 12-36 months of 'revenue' (which in some cases might be very poor or not even exist at all for various reasons,) although some buyers keep trying to do precisely that; create a false impression that all names are worth only for the traffic/income they receive, which is of course bunch of craparoni.

kvarnsten

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with producer the only names you can (and do) strictly talk about 24-36 months revenue etc are domains with no value in themselves such as typos and really crappy names with lots of links. Obviously noone having any clue about the business would claim that the same could be applied on a generic name such as motorbikes.com..

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't like it either, as it seems to make my domains valueless, however, when doing appraisals, etc., mostly we are talking about today's market, and PPC income seems to be what today's market is demanding. Does that mean I will drop my seemingly worthless names? No way because the market can change any day.

kvarnsten said:
I agree with producer the only names you can (and do) strictly talk about 24-36 months revenue etc are domains with no value in themselves such as typos and really crappy names with lots of links. Obviously noone having any clue about the business would claim that the same could be applied on a generic name such as motorbikes.com..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom