Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Pagerank and domain value questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayor

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am curious what value people are placing on Google Pagerank for domains with negligable traffic. What would you pay for a PR 4, PR 5, PR 6 and PR 7 if the domain had little to no traffic? Is the PR alone worth the price of admission?

Opinions?

Mayor

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't even look at PR when thinking about buying a domain, though it's nice if there as a free bonus. Reason, it could be here today and gone tomorrow. That is so even if you manage to maintain the links and status quo.

i.e. I have some active websites online for several yrs with the same or more links than they had 3 or 4 yrs ago. A few mos ago they had PR's of 2, 3, or 4 and today when I checked they have PR 0's for no apparent reason, seemingly due to the recent Google reindexing.

Once I put a dropped domain online which carried the old high PR 6 over for a month or 2 but suddenly went to PR 0 even though my site was better and more relevant than old website and the links were maintained and even more added. That site is still PR 0 even today, about 1 yr later.

M

mole

Pagerank used to make sense in the early days of Google. Today, pagerank has been so hacked and manipulated eg. by domain sellers trying to "increase" the perception of value of a domain, that I believe Google has given up and is already busy on a new journey in "search" of the holy grail. The semantic web is something that everyone, including the best brains in Google. are trying to desperately crack.

alien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One could easily push a PR0 site to a PR5/6 within 2 PR updates, so it's near $0 to me.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Pagerank used to make sense in the early days of Google.

Yes, in the early days of Google most all of my websites had good Page Rank and/or high SE rankings. It seemed like childs play getting good PR and rank and I really never tried to get it but got it anyway. Come to think of it, I did not even know what page rank was in those days of good PR.

Now those same websites are status quo or better but the PR's and SE ranks are often lower than the early days except for some larger sites. I agree that it's because of all the PR hacking, SEO, and link farms trying to increase PR or placement so now G seems to be down playing PR and making SEO much tougher.

M

mole

RealNames said:
Come to think of it, I did not even know what page rank was in those days of good PR.

Ýeah, and SEOs were Senior Engineering Officers :-(

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
damn it, just when I thought I figured out Google's system they start changing it...

I am always a couple months behind...same with the GMail craze, same with .info....

*sigh*

M

mole

GT Web said:
I am always a couple months behind...same with the GMail craze, same with .info....

Don't say I didn't tell you that .BIZ will be very big in the B2B (business-to-business) sector one day, web :-D ... as to when it will happen, next year, in the year 2010, you just got to take your chances in the futures game.

August 2009: How Google beat Amazon and Ebay to the Semantic Web
http://ftrain.com/google_takes_all.html

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
....web :-D ... as to when it will happen, next year, in the year 2010, you just got to take your chances in the futures game.....

Do you mean dot-web by IOD? If so, what are the chances of it going live one day, if ever?

I have about 100 .web's but is seems dead in the water (and a big loss for me), their website never has anything new to report, they closed their forum, and .web pioneer CAmbler does not even talk about .web anymore though he was .web's spokesman, champion and developer a few yrs ago.

P.S. Mole, is your name Pierre?

skylight

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Don't say I didn't tell you that .BIZ will be very big in the B2B (business-to-business) sector one day, web :-D ... as to when it will happen, next year, in the year 2010, you just got to take your chances in the futures game.

Great! I have the same feeling. My intention is to hold my current .biz domains for 10 years.

M

mole

skylight said:
Great! I have the same feeling. My intention is to hold my current .biz domains for 10 years.

How many .biz do you have, sky? Seems very little to hold on for 10 years.

ParkQuick.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:wink:
mole said:

How about 3010? :-/

xalex

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It ain't gonna be big. A big company should be able to get decent .com. Small companies move out and let the big players play.

Sub

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
xalex said:
It ain't gonna be big. A big company should be able to get decent .com. Small companies move out and let the big players play.
Yes, almost always... And it makes sense too, everyone's happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom