Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Pagerank websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoned

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Whats up with the new trend of pagerank websites?

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
think eveyone is trying to sell theres as a newer google PR system should be coming out soon....

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stoned said:
Hey everyone, Whats up with the new trend of pagerank websites?
Google it. You'll find that in late September, a group of people discovered how to determine Google's latest adjustments to the "pagerank" feature of the Google toolbar. They collaborated on a forum much like this one, and at the very end, rubber stamped the results "OPEN SOURCE", and released it into the wild. And like any formula Hollywood flick, the story ends with "--and chaos insued." I don't think its fair to discuss this in someone's "sales" thread, but the fact of the matter is that the code is "free", and being quickly translated into a number of languages. The "complicated" aspect of this task is determine what is called the "checksum", which is a number that relates to the request itself... that is computed by means of a tricky algorithm.

Once the checksum is determined for your request... you can actually browse to a XML formatted page via your browser that retrieves the pagerank of any website. This is the whole "trick". Displaying it in any format is just a matter of retrieving this information, and formatting it on a page.

In the wake of "The Great Dessemination", many people have discovered 1 of 2 things. #1.) They can sell a quickie "pagerank" website solution/script, to people without the time or talent to make one of their own. #2.) They can create a pagerank portal, and try to quickly amass traffic by displaying this feature (with or without value added) for what it is... a very useful indicator of search engine status.

Where is the code/script? Where is the original thread discussing it? Where are the free scripts? Google them. Many of them change from day to day. The original website was hosted off of someone's computer, and had since gone down. It's out there though. I think anyone interested should check into it further for more information.

As Stevey notes, Google may elect to alter its PageRank "checksum" algorithym at any time. The problem with this however, is that all existing toolbars will STOP WORKING, and its users will need to download NEW ones to have the feature work again. As well, with the code in the public domain, it would no doubt delight someone to re-figure the new checksum, and release the code.

~ Nexus

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nexus, Nicely Detailed :)

I have a strong PR 5 Finance Related Site. Having checked a couple of PR Prediction Tools, it says it should be a PR 7 next dance, but obviously there has been no dance.
Having checked my logs, and ultimatley, my revenue. I have seen that i'm now ranking first page on all the terms i wanted. This means to me that the current PR System is pointless, i'm sure alot of people think the same.

We'll see what Google have to bring

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with Weasels.info

It is a new site, with PR0 according to the toolbar. It recently got into DMOZ and the Google Directory and shows PR5 on the little green bar next to the link in the Google Directory. Try searching google for weasels and my site comes up #3.

I think in an effort to stop the selling of links to increase PR Google will not update the visable rankings for its search for a very long time

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its up and down at the minute, must be dancing now!

Or, as i've just been told, i COULD be the toolbar being changed and not an accurate PR update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom