Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Parking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzika

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is considered the baseline cutoff point, traffic wise, in when I should keep a domain name for parking? For example, I tried parking a few of my unused domains. Two of them have gotten 8 unique visits in a week, but thats honestly about it. I only have had 1 click work around 30 cents out of the 10 domains I parked.

What should I shoot for in unique visits for parked domains?

Also, which domain parking site is the best one to use, generally?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is considered the baseline cutoff point, traffic wise, in when I should keep a domain name for parking? For example, I tried parking a few of my unused domains. Two of them have gotten 8 unique visits in a week, but thats honestly about it. I only have had 1 click work around 30 cents out of the 10 domains I parked.

What should I shoot for in unique visits for parked domains?

Also, which domain parking site is the best one to use, generally?

My baseline for keeping domains, when they earn $.05 a day I will definitely keep it.

There is no perfect parking service for every domains. You need to test them and try their respective services.

Here's a simple guide:
If your traffics mostly in NorthAmerica, I highly recommend parked parking service. They pay twice a month, which is really cool and only one in the business.

Now if your traffic is coming from asia or other part of the world, your best bet is domain sponsor, namedrive and other google feeds parking.

Hope this help, you can find out more at my blogs http://emil.king.net.
Regards,
em

alzika

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My baseline for keeping domains, when they earn $.05 a day I will definitely keep it.

There is no perfect parking service for every domains. You need to test them and try their respective services.

Here's a simple guide:
If your traffics mostly in NorthAmerica, I highly recommend parked parking service. They pay twice a month, which is really cool and only one in the business.

Now if your traffic is coming from asia or other part of the world, your best bet is domain sponsor, namedrive and other google feeds parking.

Hope this help, you can find out more at my blogs http://emil.king.net.
Regards,
em

Thanks

Do you have an ESTIMATE on the number of monthly unique views that would generate that minimum of $0.05? I don't care if it is off, and I will definitely not hold it to you. I'm just looking for some numbers to help me get started! :)

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you should look at visits for the main criteria, since some get high ctr, and some low. The finally decision should really be based upon income, so if you're getting, a low rpm, with high traffic, that won't help either.

On the other hand if you get high traffic, and low rpm, it sometimes pays to forward the traffic.

If your average click rate is high, then, you should consider changing templates or something else.

alzika

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm only asking about traffic because I want to know if these sites I have could be deemed a keeper, or just let them drop when the reg period is over. I realize that CTR and all that can be hugely different. I just don't know what a "typical" CTR is for parked domains. I know some similar stats for AdSense, for example, but I was hoping that parking has a much higher CTR.

Basically, would 1 unique per day on a site be worth keeping? Or is that far too low?

One of these domains will end up expiring on January 29, so I'm trying to determine whether to keep it or not. This particular domain is one of the ones getting 1-2 uniques per day, but this one has no clicks yet.

You also mention high and low traffic domains. What could be considered a "high traffic" domain?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

you could have a name that only gets 1 click per month, but it makes $3.00 a click.

average = $36.00 a year

alzika

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How long should I let the tests run on all of my domains?

I mean, some of them have only had 1-2 uniques in 2 weeks. Am I wasting my time in parking them for that little traffic?

What's the normal CTR ranges for parked domains?

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are no CTR rates set in stone. That part is impossible to predict and depends on multiple factors. You should be looking to allow three months for a true parking test with one of the reputable parking companies. It's no good flicking from site to site - give your names a chance to "bed in" somewhere for a while.

anderson33

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

One other thing to consider - are any of the domains brandable? Will any of the domains have future value?

Traffic domains are good because the pay for themselves and often produce extra income.

You take more of a risk with brandable domains with little or no traffic, but sometimes the payoff is worth it.

I recently sold a domain that was getting little or no traffic and rev for $2,600. But, it was a highly brandable domain and could be easily developed.

Just another side of domaining for you to consider :)

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi alzika,

Just a few quick answers: :)

1. You need to try out a few parking companies as domains perform differently.

2. There is more to owning a domain than just parking it. Some parking sites such as Sedo also have an auction component, so someone might make you an offer if you park it there.

3. If it makes more than your registration fee per annum then keep it.

Hope it gives you a few things to think about.

alzika

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I apologize for all of the stupid questions. I am obviously new to most of this side of things! :) I know a lot about PHP/MySQL and thats what my day job involves...programing in PHP.

What exactly do you mean by a "brandable domain"? That could mean a lot...any examples?

Next, my parking account has between 15-20 domains in it. I started parking with around 10 domains on December 28th. Since then, I added the rest slowly, a few per day. Overall, I've had 39 uniques from type in traffic, I assume, but only 1 click overall for around 30 cents.

Additionally, I thought up a cool domain name last night that I had hopes would get me some type-in traffic. I've had 6 uniques so far since I registered the domain 12 hours ago.

Overall, is this normal? Good? Bad?

I've been using sedo for parking.

I appreciate the help.

anderson33

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Alzika,

Sorry to be so vague. As you can see there are many answers to your questions, and many domainers choose domains for different reasons.

Basically what I mean by brandable - easy to remember, catchy, and can be used for many different markets - yahoo... google... flickr... are examples. Before all the millions were spent to market them, they could have been used for just about anything.

Some people have a talent for thinking of names like that... I wish I did :)

Another example. A couple of years ago I regged devvine.com and ended up selling it to a web developer 2 months later. It could have been used or branded for almost any type of development.

But remember... brandable domains can be worth only so much, what makes them real valuable is the millions of dollars spent on marketing them. That is why they are more risky than traffic domains. They are only worth what someone will pay for them !

As for your domain with 6 UVs in less than 12 hours... looks like you might have a good traffic domain :)

Hope this helps a little :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom