Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Parking receiving my SE traffic for their own parked page

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My search traffic is going to Namedrive! I just typed in my domain/minisite name into G to see where I ranked in the Serps and found the url ranked #2. However, upon review is is NOT my site but instead is a parked page running on Namedrive with this kind of url: www.ndparkingdotcom/examplesite.com/

In other words Namedrive made a simple htm parking page using my domain name as the htm file name (examplesite.com) including using the tld in the htm name, used the url including extension in the Title, which is lsited in the search engines.

That results in when someone searches for my keyword url, ND ends up getting my SE traffic by virtue of its #2 ranking. Ironically my url is not even listed anywhere in Google according to Google webmaster tools. Not sure why it's not listed which may be related to what ND is doing, at my expense. God knows how many others are burned by what they are doing?

Let us analyze the effect of this. A number of websurfers end-up going to the Namedrive parked page thinking wrongly it is my website. They may click on some links so ND appears to get the revenue from visitors who were looking for myself. Not only that but even if I was in fact listed in G ND would still get much of my traffic since I may not be ranked as high as ND is since no doubt ND has a much higher PR and a vast number of links too.

Does that seme ethically correct to you :?: Seems not to be, imo :eek: In fact, domaners could easily do this to other domainers or other websites to in-effect get their traffic - but not as effectiveky as a big site such as ND can do it due to their high SE strength.

As a side-note, I do have a very lightly used ND account with currenty zero domains parked there and am fairly certain this domain was never parked at ND, which was freshly registered by me about 10 mos ago and has been a minisite almost the same length of time. However, the domain was originally in my big list of domains I submitted to ND in the past, even though most all of them were never functional at ND or ever used the ND nameservers.

Am I perhaps missing something here?

Last edited:

NameDriver

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

I can guarantee you this is not something of our doing. It's not unthinkable that another one of our users is doing so. Please can you PM me the domain name in question and I'll look into it for you?

Thanks.

Ed

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why didn't you just contact namedrive instead of wasting peoples time reading this?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why didn't you just contact namedrive instead of wasting peoples time reading this?

Reading about important issues on forums is a reason for members to join forums so don't agree it is a waste of time. This is a discussion forum and posts are sometimes made to get feedback of others to see if the issue has been experienced by other members and also to get feedback on the issue.

A pet peeve I have are webfirms who setup htm pages and use someone elses url in the Title and elsewhere on the page and meta tags to capture search traffic intended for the legitimate website. By doing that they sometimes rank ahead of the real site in Google.

It's being widely done and I had this happen many times re my sites involving 3 or 4 such websites who's main business model is living off of the traffic intended for others which they basically "steal" by ranking higher than the real website as a result.

Some domainers may not even be aware this is commonly done and that is one more purpose of the public post about the issue.

I see no record of the domain ever resolving at ND and believe it has been a minisite running on my server since it was first reg'd so curious how this could happen. However, I did say in my post "perhaps I am missing something" so I just sent the URL to Ed for an explanation.

I realize ND is not one of the several large webfirms I mentioned earlier who have such a blatant traffic theft business model of capturing SE traffic intended for the real sites and maybe there is another explanation from ND.

NameDriver

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Trader,

Thanks for the link. Now I've been able to see the Google result, I'll reply to your PM in public as the question was first aired in public.

Frankly, I'm somewhat baffled. There is no doubt that whoever set up the SEO very clearly intended to drive the traffic to the ND site. However, the domain is in your account at ND, so the only person to benefit from this is you and, well, if you were benefiting from it, I somehow doubt you'd have made your original post.

Not only that, but it is a well-discussed fact that Google searches are distinctly non-parking-page-friendly, so SEO-ing a parked page specifically to do well in Google is a waste of time 99% of the time.

So we have someone who's SEO-ed that specific parked page in your account, so nobody benefits except you, if anyone was to benefit at all. It doesn't really add up.

I can only again reiterate it's certainly nothing we would even consider doing for our own gain (you can see by the traffic numbers that it's not really worth anyone's while).

Other than being able to state our own intentions clearly, there's not much I can do to better understand this person's or the search engine's intentions, sadly.

Ed

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Trader,

Thanks for the link. Now I've been able to see the Google result, I'll reply to your PM in public as the question was first aired in public.

Frankly, I'm somewhat baffled. There is no doubt that whoever set up the SEO very clearly intended to drive the traffic to the ND site. However, the domain is in your account at ND, so the only person to benefit from this is you and, well, if you were benefiting from it, I somehow doubt you'd have made your original post.

Not only that, but it is a well-discussed fact that Google searches are distinctly non-parking-page-friendly, so SEO-ing a parked page specifically to do well in Google is a waste of time 99% of the time.

So we have someone who's SEO-ed that specific parked page in your account, so nobody benefits except you, if anyone was to benefit at all. It doesn't really add up.

I can only again reiterate it's certainly nothing we would even consider doing for our own gain (you can see by the traffic numbers that it's not really worth anyone's while).

Other than being able to state our own intentions clearly, there's not much I can do to better understand this person's or the search engine's intentions, sadly.

Ed

Thanks Ed for checking it out.

I can undestand much of what you said and I fully apologize if I was implying ND had someghow done that as it appears to not be correct based on your feedback (however, there are a number of sites who in fact are doing that as a business revenue model which is a pet peeve of mine).

What I am confused about is how that ppc webpage got made and is now online since I am almost certain the domain never resolved from my ND parking account and instead resolves as a stand-alone developmental site on my server :?:

Another question I have is since the nameservers are not NDs and it does not resolve as a regular ppc page (except as an htm page under your domain indexed in Google) are you saying I would still get credit for any clicks?

NameDriver

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

Yes, as the domain is in your account, if it gets any traffic, you would get credited for this.

Ed

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about ND change this code on that parking page:
<meta name="robots" content="index,nofollow">
to:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">
With the "noindex" attribute, search engines won't index the page. So this issue won't ever happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom