Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Paypal for domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently a guy inquired for a couple of Spanish domains and we finally agreed a price after a month of negotiations.
Now, the guy says he only can use paypal from where he lives. No escrow, no Sedo.
I'm doubting to go ahead with the transaction, because I've never used paypal to sell a domain to a guy that came from nowhere, just with reputable DNForum members.
Just wanted to ask this. If the guy pay the domain in full, with funds, not credit card, could he still reverse the transaction once he gets the domain?

raoul

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently a guy inquired for a couple of Spanish domains and we finally agreed a price after a month of negotiations.
Now, the guy says he only can use paypal from where he lives. No escrow, no Sedo.
I'm doubting to go ahead with the transaction, because I've never used paypal to sell a domain to a guy that came from nowhere, just with reputable DNForum members.
Just wanted to ask this. If the guy pay the domain in full, with funds, not credit card, could he still reverse the transaction once he gets the domain?

Could reverse even with funds, but its much easier to fight paypal, than the creditcard company via paypal :)

About not having sedo/ escrow, forget it, it exists in spain also.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a scammer to me. Sedo and Escrow.com are universal. If you have a bank account or a credit card you can use them from just about anywhere in the world, just like Paypal. I would tell him that you only use those two methods and that you don't use Paypal for domain transactions.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Escrow is available worldwide.

My suspicion is someone has hijacked someone else's PayPal account.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ask him which Country he comes from. Ask him to use Moneybookers.com as that
is much safer and better than Paypal for sure, and they give better exchange
rates consistently. Which country IS he from ?. Ask him to tell you a few domains
he owns already so you can check him out.

DG

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't use PayPal with him.
Sedo or Escrow only.

It's better don't sell a domain than loose a domain forever.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Never let the buyer dictate terms. Set yours!

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Firstly, PayPal is reversible.

Also, "instant payment" is misleading for bank funded / credit card funded payments.

And worse, there is no way for the receiver (seller) to know - PayPal hides the funding information.

PayPal will credit an account even before the funds have been withdrawn from the sender's bank account / credit card.

The exception to that, though not certain, is Mass-Pay, which I believe can only come from PayPal balance.

PayPal is typically ok to accept from established forum members here with good iTrader. From anyone else, it's a total crapshoot.

I'd suggest the OP request the buyer to send payment via Western Union or MoneyGram...

Speaking of wire services, they too are often reversible prior to pickup - never transfer a domain (or whatever one is selling) until after picking up the money.

Ron

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your comments. It also sounds a bit like a scam to me,
Just that he worked to much to bargain the domain, as I told, like a month of negotiation, if he'd be a scammer, he wouldn't need to bargain that much and invest so much time.
But again, it sounds fishy anyway.
The domains have the name of a la latinamerican country, Bolivia (recently featured in the James Bond movie), so, I suppose the guy is from that country.
I already presented him the options of Sedo and Escrow and yesterday I sent him an email about using EscrowDNS which accepts paypal. I hope he accepts.

Hey, what about this:
I open a new temporary paypal account, and I don't add any credit card.
Then after I receive the money I send it to my good paypal account.
Then I close the temporary paypal account.
Could that get some protection?
Not that I'm going to do that..... just wondering... :)

Gileyal

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fisher - don't do that.

I haven't read the TOS/end user agreement but I am almost certain that Paypal would include a provision that if you have two accounts they can offset one from the other. Their lawyers would have to be absolutely negligent not to include one.

My only advice (from real world, not domains) is - if something doesn't feel right, there's a good reason.

mxdominios

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Si crees que es de Bolivia dale tu telefono y pidele el suyo. Igual y hablando por teléfono te das una idea si el cuate te quiere transar o no. A veces hablando directamente se aclaran mejor las cosas y se resuelven los detalles.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys, thanks for the advise.
One more question:
What if we use EscrowDNS, the guy pays with paypal, and then it reverse the transaction a few weeks later?
Who loses?

Mr. Pim

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ask him to pay by wire transfer. Problem solved ;)

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
Ok, guys, thanks for the advise.
One more question:
What if we use EscrowDNS, the guy pays with paypal, and then it reverse the transaction a few weeks later?
Who loses?

Ask DNEscrow themselves. Or the owner here:eek:k:

siteman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even with Paypal fund, scammer can claim 'unauthorized transaction' and reverse.

If you really want to use Paypal, one trick is to ask the buyer to open a 'paypal' dispute after payment, and then close it. In this way he cannot raise dispute a second time.
Never tried this myself though.

Also you may consider moneybooker.com, which the buyer cannot be reversed.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you really want to use Paypal, one trick is to ask the buyer to open a 'paypal' dispute after payment, and then close it. In this way he cannot raise dispute a second time.

???? What if he doesn't close it? :)

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The last thing the guy told me was that he was going to ask to a friend who knows more that him about that stuff.
I suspect he distrust the escrow services by ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom