Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

PayPal Loses Class Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IF YOU OPENED A PAYPAL ACCOUNT BETWEEN OCTOBER 1999 AND JANUARY 2004, YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO A PAYMENT FROM A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT.

PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
SAN JOSE DIVISION

In re PayPal litigation
Case No. CV-02-01227-JF (PVT)

NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION AND PROPOSED SETTLEMENT

1. WHY DID I GET THIS NOTICE?
You have been sent this Notice because the records of PayPal, Inc. indicate you are a current or former PayPal account holder. This means you may be eligible to receive a payment from the proposed class action settlement in the lawsuit In re PayPal Litigation, Case No. 02 1227 JF PVT, pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose. This Notice provides a summary of the terms of the proposed settlement. It also explains the lawsuit, your legal rights under the settlement, what benefits are available to you under the settlement, and how to get them.

Full Details: http://www.settlement4onlinepayments.com/index.php3

My question: I'm getting an error when I enter my Canadian address trying to fill out the forms, but the lawsuit does not seem to disqualify me. Anyone see what I'm missing?

4. HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM PART OF THE SETTLEMENT?
On July 12, 2004, Judge Fogel entered an order granting preliminary approval of the settlement and certifying the following class for purposes of the settlement: All Persons who opened a PayPal account during the period from October 1, 1999 through January 31, 2004. Excluded from the class are any judicial officer to whom the lawsuit is assigned; PayPal and any of its affiliates; any current or former employee, officer, or director of PayPal; anyone who resides in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, or United Kingdom; and all persons who timely and validly request exclusion from the class pursuant to this notice.

Thus, if you opened a PayPal account between October 1, 1999 and January 31, 2004, and are not one of the excluded persons listed above, you are a member of the class.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The form appears to be designed only for residents of USA
Maybe we should just print out the form without hitting the submit button, fill it out, sign it and send it to them?
What do you think?
or maybe wait a couple of days and see if they fix the form?
I would like to know what happens when the submit button is clicked by someone in the states who wont have phone number, state and zip errors

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
settlement4onlinepayments.com YUCK.. thats the kind of nonsense that needs to end..just stop it people l ..quit buying retarded names just because it ends in.com .. !

I own Lawsuits.Ws please someone from counsel contact me and do your firm a HUGE favor and buy a name that makes sense and everyone can spell !

or you can forever be known as

ou can email Class Counsel at: [email protected]

OR

[email protected]

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got an email :
"It has come to our attention that the claim form does not yet accept foreign addresses. Please be advised that the site administrator is fixing this problem. Persons living outside the United States are entitled to file claims, unless they currently reside in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, or the United Kingdom."
(The site administrator must be on an hourly rate, if it is taking this long to change the form!!)

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So this email was legit?

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of it! This would be massive news if it were remotely true! Also if it were a legit company do you really thing they would have such a crappy domain name??? Think about it!

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
So this email was legit?
Dunno,
Spose so
Anyway, it doesn't matter now, coz the Stat. Damage claim form has been updated to include some countries including oz.
Filled it out twice, submitted it, printed it, signed it, now just gotta buy some stamps, send em, and sit back and wait for the dividend
How much do ya reckon it will be ?
$10?
more?

aggieuk said:
I haven't heard of it! This would be massive news if it were remotely true! Also if it were a legit company do you really thing they would have such a crappy domain name??? Think about it!
Yes, it it appears to be true and it was reported in the press, however UK is excluded

jsonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is legit, there is a part of the paypal site which links to it but of course they do not put this on the front page for people to find very easy.

MyPCGuy

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, the class action is legitimate - but I don't believe it has been settled yet - if you have a paypal account you can search their site for it, or you can contact them directly for information - you can also do a google search and a ton of articles will come up - basically - if you had issues with them refunding money, etc - you probably qualify.

Dzelil

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have also gotten this email so it must be true because it's all over the net

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After a year of waiting, they paid today
Guess how much?

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
Guess how much?

probably less than a dollar after the lawyer's fees were deducted?:-D

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is, it will probably be contra'd against what they've fleeced out of UK accounts...

csmaster2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, please state how much they paid you, and approximately how much transfering you do with paypal, I really want to know how much I'll receive back ;)

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
Guess how much?

How much? I know I recently received a check from an American Express settlement for guess how much?...... $0.14 :) The postage cost more than the check.

cwsteam.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, 14 cents :)

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
settlements that affect large groups of people rarely pay out enough. My old car insurance company went bankrupt and people sued cause they paid for insurance for the year upfront, $100 million was awarded to about 10 million people, and after lawyer fees, and all the other stuff each person got $1.15.

After only 1 year of waiting.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quote from the July 2004 email:

If you make a timely, valid claim using the Short Claim Form, you will receive a payment of $50
I guess the amount needed to pay all of the short form claims exceeded the Fund. Looks like we all might get around $8.
unless the amount needed to pay all of the Short Form claims exceeds the Short Form Fund. In that case, the Short Form Fund will be divided equally among all Short Form Claimants

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom