Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Paypal Scam Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If this has been posted anywhere else please ignore this thread...

I just received this email. It looked quite valid until I noticed the link didn't go to the Paypal website but it's quite unsettling to say the least as someone who breaks into your paypal account would have instant access to your bank, credit card, and any other information instantly!

We recently noticed an attempt to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reason to belive that your account was used by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. Therefore, if you are the rightful account holder, click on the link below to log into your account and follow the instructions.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run
(this goes to another website)

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as another PayPal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that impersonators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
have you contacted paypal directly via phone?

or email?

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get this email atleast 6 times a day ... or ones just like it.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who was it addressed to?
Big clue - "Dear Paypal Customer" = scam - "Dear your name" = could be genuine but check before replying.

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
note the spelling error "we have reason to belive that "

Gamerz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get this daily too, same with ebay, funny thing is both of them go to an email i dont use for paypal or ebay lol and they always have links to odd sites that are trying to steal other peoples accounts.

aptimass

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get these all the time too, bottom line is don't click on the link. Sometimes they look so real that I believe that I have to do something. I used to think that you could just hover over the link and see where it was going, but I have now started seeing them mask that as well. These guys are getting much better at phishing.

chording

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aptimass said:
Sometimes they look so real that I believe that I have to do something. I used to think that you could just hover over the link and see where it was going, but I have now started seeing them mask that as well. These guys are getting much better at phishing.
The less savvy fish would likely fall into the traps of these phishing masters, I agree that these guys are just getting better.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainSwans said:
The less savvy fish would likely fall into the traps of these phishing masters, I agree that these guys are just getting better.

The paypal graphics and form were very persuasive and gave the idea of credibility (most people do not read emails). It takes you directly to a login screen......

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The newest PP scam emails go:

You have [email protected]as a new email address for your
PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/blahblahfakeaddress=ap_email

Never mind their spelling, it's a very cunning way to fool the unsuspecting PayPal'er (Not me of course :-D)

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aptimass said:
I used to think that you could just hover over the link and see where it was going, but I have now started seeing them mask that as well. These guys are getting much better at phishing.
Yeah, I just got one of those where even the URL looks kinda real. What I always do is copy/paste a very distinct line from it and search for it in Google, and always you will find people talking about the email in question, be it somewhere on a 'spam abuse' list/site, or a scam-alert site, etc.
The email they sent me today looked pretty real, with no typos or anything, BUT... it was called 'February Update at eBay' and at the bottom it said "Copyright © 2004 eBay Inc." lol.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appearances can be deceiving as the redirect bug illustrates... in addition there's IDN spoofing - darn near impossible for one to tell the difference.

Ron

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the warning. There are so many scam emails being sent out these days it's not at all unexpected. They keep getting better and better at what they do. You just need to be aware and hope not to make a mistake.

manish

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get such emails regularly. Both for paypal and 2checkout. Never click on links in emails. Instead open a new browser window and type the URL, thats the best and safest way :)

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got the funniest email scam to date this morning... it offered a copy of Longhorn for $49.95. rotflmao....

I'll chuckle about that all day....

Vivvy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom