Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale Physical junk mail from droc.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get an invoice from the Domain Registry of Canada for the transfer of one of your domains?

Got a letter in the mail today that looked like an invoice for the transfer of one of my .com's. There were 1, 2 and 3 year prices and a little disclaimer that I would not be charged unless I went though with the transfer (which is good, because to someone who isn't paying attention, it looked like a real bill)

I've had domains drop, or come close to dropping before, so I don't know why they chose this particular .com to make the transfer offer on. Also, $40 for a 1 year registration? :-O

As much as I hate spam, I really hate getting junk mail at home.

So what's the deal with these guys?

EDIT:

Just found this thread by googling "droc.ca scam"

http://www.dnforum.com/f26/warning-droc-ca-domain-registry-canada-thread-344737.html

I guess these guys have been doing this for a while.

Last edited:

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is the same people as DROA aka Domain Registry of America...I get these letters every so often. They are just trying to basically trick less savvy domain owners into paying their overpriced renewals because they don't want to "lose" their domain, and they must trick enough people to make it worth sending all this mail. Their letters just go quickly into my garbage can.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wasted postage on them once. Sent them a picture of my middle finger.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well worth the postage

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and the funny thing is that the names they are trying to get me to renew I haven't owned for at least 2 years.:lol:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get these from time to time, for all kinds of extensions. I could see how some could be fooled into just paying it, some business owners still leave the management of their domains to the company that manages their website. They must make money at it because they've been doing it for years.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reputed scum bags and it was a touchy issue in its day. I thought they lost most if not all of their legal battles on the American side.

chriscm1

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get this about 2-3 times/year to myself and family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom