Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Please contact CIRA at 1-877-860-1411 for more information

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does CIRA have the ability to move registrations to a new registrar?

At the moment, it seems customers of Brandon Gray Internet Services Inc. do not have any options at all.

Certain domain name registrations show the following:

HTML:
Registrar name:	        Brandon Gray Internet Services Inc.
Registrar number:	985491
But now they have a different message:

HTML:
Registrar name:	 	Please contact CIRA at 1-877-860-1411 for more information
Registrar number:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, is that what happens when a registrar goes under ?

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems like CIRA is not adhering to its very own policies.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is scary...what is CIRA's policy if a registrar goes under? How does CIRA protect the registrant?

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It need not be scary: each registration is placed in the CIRA registry: you buy a registration at retail for - let us say - $10 and the registrar pays CIRA - too much at - $8.50 for it.

Each domain registration in the .ca registry was paid with funds on deposit with CIRA from the respective registrar, so the registrations are paid and exist, but how does one manage the domains since CIRA has 'pushed down' administration to the registrar? That is a valid question, I think.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That is the whole point: Does CIRA have the ability to move registrations to a new registrar?

It seems from what CIRA has posted to date that it is up to the registrants to find new registrars, but under their EPP system, where can registrants get the codes they require?

If CIRA does not have a mechanism for moving these customers, there may soon be a steady trickle of ex-Brandon Gray registrations going to TBR.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
6.3 Replacement of Registrar. In the event that the Registrar of Record is no longer
a Registrar for any reason, has had its certification as a Registrar suspended,
revoked or terminated, and/or the Registrar Agreement between CIRA and the
Registrar of Record is terminated or expires, the Registrant shall be responsible
for changing such Registrar of Record to a new Registrar. Such change must
occur within 30 days of notice being given to the Registrant, or such other period
of time specified by CIRA.
6.4 No Registrar of Record. In the event that the Registrant does not replace its
Registrar and/or does not have a Registrar of Record for any reason, the Registry
will indicate that the Registrant’s Domain Name Registration(s) is associated with
CIRA. For greater certainty, CIRA will not serve as the Registrar of Record and
the Registrant will not be able to effect any Transaction Requests with CIRA
other than transferring its Domain Name Registrations(s) to a CIRA Certified
Registrar. This Registry status will continue until the earlier of: (i) the Registrant
transfers its Domain Name Registration(s) to a CIRA Certified Registrar which
will become the Registrar of Record, or (ii) the Domain Name Registration(s)
expires or is deleted.
http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Legal/Registrants/registrationrules.pdf

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I think Katherine gets the Catch-22 here also: if you do not move within 30 days, the domain is effectively frozen until you do move it or the domain registration expires - but in order to move the domain registration to a new registrar one needs the EPP code, which is no longer available since there is no longer a registrar associated with the domain registration.

Other national TLD operators like DENIC have a last resort function which places the domain directly with DENIC but at a very high renewal fee. Of course, since DENIC is more like a cooperative than a kleptocracy, this is well-accepted by the .de registrars.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suppose the domain will be moved to another registrar by Cira, according to registrant instructions (manual allocation without EPP code).

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suppose the domain will be moved to another registrar by Cira, according to registrant instructions (manual allocation without EPP code).

Let me say it another way: do you not see a conflict here between the different aspects - CIRA will not move the registration as it is up to the registrant - and then CIRA may make a manual transfer - when the registrants no longer get any more notices from their non-existent registrar, the very same registrar to which CIRA expects to offload all customer/registrant contact?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it's all in the title:
Please contact CIRA at 1-877-860-1411 for more information
:canada:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL, I stand by my statement...

Scary :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom