Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Please Justify Your Asking Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed in the past when trying to buy names on Sedo the sellers most always say no to my offer and make a counter-offer which is almost always far higher than expected. However, when I use the drop down menu and use the "Please Justify Your Asking Price" option they never reply for some odd reason so it's all over and the offer expires.

Can someone explain what the big deal is about giving some stats and any other important valuation information to the potential buyer? Seems really weird why they won't even try to justify the high price. When I get email inquiries and requests for some data I am not reluctant to give some details to give the domain value. Why would I not do so anyway?

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, maybe your offer was too low? When I enter new domains to Sedo and I get the usual $60-$80 offers, I'm always counteroffering with zillions, just to make sure they know that I know that they are domainers, and I don't care what else they come up with after. Whether it's "justify your asking price" or $10 more offer..

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, maybe your offer was too low? When I enter new domains to Sedo and I get the usual $60-$80 offers, I'm always counteroffering with zillions, just to make sure they know that I know that they are domainers, and I don't care what else they come up with after. Whether it's "justify your asking price" or $10 more offer..

Many of the offers are in the low to mid xxx range.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the reason they do this is because when you receive an offer for one of your domains, in order to cancel negotiations, you must put in a counter-offer.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's also a pain in the ass to have someone say "Please Justify Your Asking Price"...basically take it, make a counter offer or leave it. Besides, two can play that game...Please justify your offer price :)

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please justify your offer price :)

Yeah - when you made your low offer - did you send justification for it?

People don't have to justify anything other than one pays the asking price or go cry in a beer somewhere, as I find it poor business that sedo even has that choice available - giving people ideas about wasting the time of the seller, when if the seller wanted to 'Justify' their price, there is a Whole Comment Box for that. If there is no Description filled-out to the Classified Ad (which is all sedo is as a service), then those who want to learn more can go join DNForum or the likes in order to understand the basics of the business they are trying to work in. Without making it a drop-down selection on sedo - the 'buyer' can still just write-out that question in the open-text box that sedo staff review, or any other questions for that matter.

At a minimum, sedo should allow sellers to de-select this choice from the ads placed on their domains to the public, so one as a seller wouldn't have to have their time further wasted.

Here is a C&P from my standard response if I feel like making any reply at all:

Thanks for the question, it’s not always easy to answer sometimes, but here goes…
Anchored in the global free market economic laws of supply and demand, I am only duly motivated to sell this timeless, 1-of-a-kind in the World product for what I deem worthy of it's value (monetary, intrinsic and otherwise), whereby if someone is not able to purchase this domain at the current, limited time offered price, I wish them the best to secure a name within their affordability while this premium domain name brand remains on the open market and continues to rapidly appreciate. Elsewise, if you wish to buy this domain now and give yourself a captivating online presence, I thank you and look forward to you securing this name at this low price and doing business with you in the near future. (-:

After years upon years of being on sedo, I find the above response garners me more sales than I would otherwise get if I were to just ignore such a question all together (which I have done alot of as well).

Even in the early years when I would ustify my asking price with metrics and whatever, it still was mostly low-ballers whom would play 'ignorant' and keep low-balling - only to be a waste of time vs. sales/domain admin/developing/life etc - you know, all more important things to do than reply to said question.

That's just me thou, and some others I know, but I'm sure others have a totally different perspective on encountering this scenario on sedo.

Sometimes there is no other justification of the price other than to say: That's the price - take it or leave it.

Best of Luck & Succes in All Your Endeavours!

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is a C&P from my standard response if I feel like making any reply at all:

Thanks for the question, it’s not always easy to answer sometimes, but here goes…
Anchored in the global free market economic laws of supply and demand, I am only duly motivated to sell this timeless, 1-of-a-kind in the World product for what I deem worthy of it's value (monetary, intrinsic and otherwise), whereby if someone is not able to purchase this domain at the current, limited time offered price, I wish them the best to secure a name within their affordability while this premium domain name brand remains on the open market and continues to rapidly appreciate. Elsewise, if you wish to buy this domain now and give yourself a captivating online presence, I thank you and look forward to you securing this name at this low price and doing business with you in the near future. (-:

Very nice!
Thanks for sharing that..

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"Please justify your asking price" = time to press the cancel button.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As a domain owner, why should I justify my asking price for you? It is, what it is...

Most domain owners know that once they try to justify the price by traffic stats or whatever else, it will open the door to debate, followed by haggling over the price, and who wants to do that?

"Please justify your asking price" = time to press the cancel button.

Exactly.. But did you ever have a Sedo broker using the same line? I did, and the response I gave him was the same as above... They must have their own little playbook they use.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very nice!
Thanks for sharing that..
I second that, thanks for the funny reply NostraDomainus:)

A while ago I've negotiated with a user who was asking "Please Justify Your Asking Price" at each of his ~8 counteroffers.

Last edited:

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not justifying jack shit. They either want the domain or they don't.

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
justifying is like squirming in your seat while waiting for the bathroom thats locked from the inside. In this analogy, find another door.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sellers should get an option: Please justify your low offer.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Q. Please justify your asking price.

A. To the vast majority of the worlds population, it is worthless, but you obviously have a plan for it. How good your plan is will dictate how you value it - I value it at $x - are we going to deal or shall I wait for someone with a better plan?

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am dealing with that with another forum that I deal with. The dude has decided to try to put me down but I am sticking to my guns. If they don't like it, then well move on.. !!

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It does play both ways,

"Please justify your asking price."
"Please justify your offer."

But keeping a door open (if the offer is even close to begin with) with kind a hearted reply, as demonstrated by NostraDomainus can lead to sales.
Harsh words or aggressive replies can kill any hope of a sale, unless they really need the name, not just want it.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They posts are probably here in the archive, but I complained about this YEARS ago to Sedo, in person.

I told them that perhaps something was lost in the translation to English, but it's a somewhat insulting remark to the selling, and does NOT get a positive response from about 90% of the sellers... why not just give the option of sending "F U" messages if you're going down that path?

Sedo has a long history of just plain NOT LISTENING to customers, and this is yet another example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom