Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Please post: Great Domains Sale of Network Solutions Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

domains

ComDeals.com - World-class domains for sale.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From about 11-2000 to 9-2001, GreatDomains.com offered for sale an extensive list of Network Solutions' drops. The price started at $100 for two years, went down to $70, then $50, and eventually $25, until they dropped the rest of them.

A lot of buyers especially at first grabbed some $-kickin names including some 3-letter domains. A lot of them sold for good money on Afternic. I sold a couple of the names for $1,500.

I'm trying to remember some of the names people got. Shmsh got GoDN.com. I got names like HostingSale.com, Eize.com, DomainCoop.com, OnLawyer.com, and 25 others including a lot of good 4-letter names which I'll post if anyone becomes interested in this thread.

Please post here the names that you got in that sale!

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dego.com (sold for a song)
tuel.com
elvy.com
sloc.com (sold for 3.75 songs, well before I knew what "type-in traffic" was :( )
rork.com
keth.com

I had my eye on a lot more like jie.org sce.org browne.com hurr.com, negy.com etc etc, but had no money :(

I probably have a hand written lists of most of the three and four letter words that were on there as from the date it dropped from US$70 to 50.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
IIRC those were all names that some "Doctor" fellow from the Nederlands bought on credit from Network Solutions.

A bad debt on their books.

He had no way of paying for them (his dreams or selling them for huge profit didn't eventuate - now, where've I seen than before) and they re-claimed the names and "sold" them on GD to try to recoup some of the money he owed.

domains

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing - Yes, we all had those handwritten lists! I still have the list. I grabbed a few that dropped, and watched where the other ones went.

Drewbert - Yes, that's interesting, I do remember the owner of several of mine being from the Netherlands. But not all of them. There were a number of different owners from people who bought names through a free domain registration service. Was it RegisterFree.com? Did you grab up any names?

Thank you both for the posts!

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember quite a lot of different owners.

They didn't drop, you just bought them (and got them about 6 weeks later).

Or are we talking about different things?

edit: May be you mean "drop" in the sense of dropped off the lists - i.e. someone "took" them. Sorry.

domains

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right, they were not yet drops. They were unpaid names that as you said Network Solutions allowed to be registered with the promise of paying for by invoice. They obviously stopped doing that! The ones that were not taken were dropped at around November 2001.

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That was an excellent time for sales. I made probably $3000 off about 5 or 6 names...I wish they would do it again!

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I recall a post on an email list at the time estimateing that the bad debt of that Doctor to NSI was in the region of 40 million dollars.

Some outrageous figure.

Didn't they end up listing them all on Afternic as well? I remember writing a crawlbot for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom