Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

please post your personal success story

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would like to know and I'm sure others would like to know your personal success on the web.

When did you start,
What do you do,
Do you work strictly from home,
How much do you make, (if you want to reveal that:laugh: )
and anything else you wanna add

Its always nice to get motivated and inspired by others:D

I won't start first because I'm still trying to figure out what to do, I have many many ideas but i cant stick with one:laugh:

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I started in 2000 I think, lol.
I do 3rd level messaging support for a large telecom.
No
Not enough to work from home. :D
I wish I worked from home.

I used to just register domains for the hell of it, now I keep strictly to adult related and traffic domains. Much easier for me to sell a service someone else has already put together. I don't make a killing in this game but it keeps me happy and it pays for all my online ventures.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick Schwartz (DomainKing.com) is a success story.

I hear Slavik (Viper) is doing pretty good too.

Yun Ye (Ult Search) is pretty high profile.

Mike Mann (BuyDomains.com) is also a big player.

Gary Kremen won a long domain legal battle over the domain Sex.com.

So, there are a few domain heavyweights who come to mind immediately..

I'm not in their league.. yet.

;)

saler

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i start from 2002
about -$+++++ has be earned
yes,i work at home
i am a reseller but also i am buyer of the large number domains iv sold:dead:

YODD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got involved when some guy down under "hijacked" a domain name from me that I had for over 2 years.

To this day I have no Idea how he got it. I had to buy it back for 350.00

I became facinated and started buying .ca names. Since great .com's were gone.

I became more facinated when I started selling them.

It got really wild when I got marketing.ca and a 5 figure offer came in.... I didn't sell.

Today I own several thousand names in all extensions and my investment has broken even.

I am just now starting to "make money"

I do this part time.

Thanks,
Lorenzo
Dataware

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold some names for four figures and less . I have also refused two four figure offers for .us names and one five figure offer for a .com . Keep on registering/buying mainly Biotech related names. My portfolio is 350+ names (some are really lousy ones which I will let drop) . Those worth renewing are about 200. It keeps me busy and happy. :)

PS : I was also sued by a major software company for violation of their TM by registering xyzmaster.com and xyzwizard.com (where xyz replaces name of the GIANT). I lost time, money , sleep and of course the two domain names besides my face). ;)

YODD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think it matters weather one does this Domain Business full time or part time.

Once you have a name a website and a forsale sign, your in business.

I spend about 2.5 hours a day and invested about 100 000 and by my calculations that works out to about 900.00 per hour.

That more per hour than what I make as CEO of a Distribution Company.

I think if one has the money to invest in good names.... the amount of time does not matter.

Thanks,
Lorenzo
Dataware

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think it matters weather one does this Domain Business full time or part time.
++++++++++

My point wasn't that it couldn't be done. Nor would I claim that the lottery couldn't be won. I just don't think the odds are very good. My belief is that a business plan should provide for a likelihood of success, not just a possibility of success.

It's just common sense that unless other factors overcompensate, a full timer has an advantage over a part timer.

Part-timers are more than welcome. I have bought alot of domains from them.

YODD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand your point...

I completely agree with you.

Didn't mean for my comments to be so strong.

Judging from your comments, you are indeed an organized individual...

All business should be accompanied with a plan, ON PAPER....

Thanks,
Respectfully,
Lorenzo

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I got started in June 2000 when I regged a set of 5 nmes to develop. When I found out how easy it was to reg names, I started poking around and saw that domain name reselling was a cool way to make extra money. My first regs for resale were pathetic :laugh:

I signed up at Afternic and studied the big dogs. Pretty soon, I developed my own strategies. I figured since all of the good .COMs were gone, then next TLD everybody would go after would be .NET and .ORG, so I started accumulating them. I typically go after strong one word names. My intuition was correct. Some of the net and org names I see that are registered for resale today are of POOR quality. One word net and org names are usualluy decent sellers (although nowhere near what .com are).

At my peak I had about 900 names. Now I have about 200-250 that I keep. Over the last three years, I have refined my portfolio to weed out the bad names, but have kept accumulating the good ones.

I am a computer programmer and domain name seller. I do this full time and work from home (although it is getting old, and I want to get back out in the work force).

I typically sell names between 100 and 1500, but have had a few higher (4 and one 5 digit sale). I have turned away two 5 figure offers, and several 4 figure offers. I am also very patient and will wait a long time for the right sale (unlike a lot of domainers who want to simply turn and burn).

-Bob

Columbia

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How much have you made , Bob ? If it's worthy I'll strat the same business...

Thank you in advance.

YODD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Bob do you really want to tell Columbia what you made?

Remember the old rules our parents taught us... don't tell anyone whats in your pocket...

Lorenzo Dataware

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom