Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Political party name

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachac1

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am affiliated with a new political party in my country. While the Party was in the process of registering its name and getting approval for same, someone associated with another political party, registered the Party's domain name. I would appreciate any advice on how best we can gain possession of this domain.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless your political party is able to demonstrate it has established trademark
rights to the term/s in question, either buy it from them or move on. Simple as
that.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they don't want to sell it - go to the media. It's politics after all and it's all about image. Tell the media about your rival's dirty trick. Not wanting to be caught with such attention they will probably drop the name or find it in their hearts to give it to you.

I've been involved in enough political action campaigns and elections to know - the media is both your worst enemy and your best friend. Use them as they would use you. They are playing dirty by grabbing your party's domain name, so return the favour in kind.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am affiliated with a new political party in my country. While the Party was in the process of registering its name and getting approval for same, someone associated with another political party, registered the Party's domain name. I would appreciate any advice on how best we can gain possession of this domain.

What TLD is it ? .com ? ccTLD ? Each ext has their own dispute resolutions rules. Most countries have copyright legislation and rules to settle that kind of abuse. Without knowing the country in question it's hard to be specific.

sachac1

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He has registered the dot com, dot net and dot org, but not the country TDL. The latter is rarely used locally.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In that case, I think you have a good chance of claiming these names, regardless if the name of your party is trademarked or not.

sachac1

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"In that case, I think you have a good chance of claiming these names, regardless if the name of your party is trademarked or not".

Can you elaborate on this. Also, how would you recommend we make a formal approach?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you can demonstrate the other party has registered and possibly is using the domains in bad faith I would get a lawyer involved (send a C&D) so they release the names. If they don't comply you have two options: UDRP and the court system. UDRP may work based on the information you provide to us, however there is a hefty fee. I would first try a well crafted letter from a lawyer. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom