Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Pool.com gives domainers the bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think ICANN should have a plan in place for any company that is going out of business etc... Hard to believe but everyone's domains are on thin ice cause of the lack of leadership. This could happen to any company. It's actually a great reason to avoid any small company ICANN needs to step up here. JMO

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Yes, ICANN will step up here, but not because Pool's registrars are getting suspended. Pool is shutting them down, however, those of us with domains at those registrars that were caught less than 60 days ago, cannot move them.

It's like Sears terminating a line of electronics and sending the remainder of the warranty to the manufacturer, instead of honoring theirs.

Pool should lose all accreditation for doing this.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried to call pool.com phones were down. So I emailed but no reply yet, Ouch. Hope they are just swamped and will reply soon

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, ICANN will step up here, but not because Pool's registrars are getting suspended. Pool is shutting them down, however, those of us with domains at those registrars that were caught less than 60 days ago, cannot move them.

It's like Sears terminating a line of electronics and sending the remainder of the warranty to the manufacturer, instead of honoring theirs.

Pool should lose all accreditation for doing this.

But ICANN should have a holding company for domains that fall in the 60 day status. That would only make sense. Even if they had to use a major registrar.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
They used to allocate NetSol but apparently nowadays there is a bidding process. This has all the characteristics of a major clusterphuck. Pool operates 85 registrars! Not sure how many are closing down, probably all.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
makes no sense for them to make such a unprofessional move and still want to be part of the domain industry...totally makes no sense

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are they going broke and unable to pay the registrar fees perhaps ?
Are pool drowning ? :smilewinkgrin:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well I'm shocked Richard has been good IMO...it doesn't seem like something he would do without making sure domains were protected for the rightful owners...

and Merry Christmas to All :yo:

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Smells of something behind the scenes that has not come to light yet. Any company planning to change their business model would have executed an orderly way to wind up the business that they were exiting and budgeted accordingly. I am glad that I have no business relationship with Pool.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I agree 100%. They are shifting the blame to ICANN, for their lack of proper process. Looks as if the SnapNames scandal would pale in comparison.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of those on that list (and perhaps others no longer in business) is precisely why I stopped using pool. Their transfer to 3rd tier registrars in 3rd countries was enough for me. I had to call pool a few times to find out where the names went. The typical response was they were not responsible for that because all they did was catch the domains. I was actually told once that it was not their responsibility to tell me and that it was the responsibility of the gaining registrar to contact me where the name is, not pool's.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Gerry, essentially these are all registrars on paper; the back end is provided by NameScout. Pool claims that ICANN refused to let all these domains managed by the registrars it plans to close down revert to NameScout. And why should they, the $$ went to Pool's registrars!

I may be making a noise disproportionate to my immediate loss, but it's a matter of ethics and I'm sure there are hundreds of domainers affected by this. Damned be the day I used Pool to grab those domains!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%. They are shifting the blame to ICANN, for their lack of proper process. Looks as if the SnapNames scandal would pale in comparison.
Yup. ICANN would not let us do this and that - therefore it is ICANN's fault. So we decided we would tell you this late in the game of everything we tried to get ICANN to do, but they wouldn't do it, so that is why we are telling you now rather than earlier because we were really hoping ICANN would bail us out.

Well, sportsfans...it is looking like the reliable sources for catching, backordering, auctioning, brokering, and being just good sports all left the field at halftime and have failed to come back out for the remainder of the game.

Naturally, no longer being affiliated with Pool in any manner I did not get any notice of this. Bless you, oh DomainGang, in this holiday season. For shining the light on this fiasco for the sake of other domainers. For this, you will surely get the top spot on the Domainer's Christmas Wishlist Tree.

Nice reporting, Theo.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gerry, essentially these are all registrars on paper; the back end is provided by NameScout. Pool claims that ICANN refused to let all these domains managed by the registrars it plans to close down revert to NameScout. And why should they, the $$ went to Pool's registrars!

I may be making a noise disproportionate to my immediate loss, but it's a matter of ethics and I'm sure there are hundreds of domainers affected by this. Damned be the day I used Pool to grab those domains!
You are 100% correct. And it may be due to lack of understanding or paying attention on the front end. I know when I had my GoDaddy reseller account, it was clearly stated that any names left in my account or names with other holders who used my registrar services would revert back to the property of GoDaddy. It may be Pool's fault. Or it could be NameScout's fault. OR the fault of Pool using NameScout.

I've been reading some other chatter about this and those that are stuck in that 60 day nonsense. It has the makings of a clusterphuck...he he he, I picked that up in my reading assignment for this evening.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you has shaken me." Friedrich Nietzsche .

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ugh....this is going to be a mess and major cluster**** for many. Pool didn't have the hassle this was going to put on their customers in mind at any point in this.
...and they know what the possible problems would be as they are in the business

ICANN is not to blame for this and Pool must think their customers are idiots to try and sell this line of crap to them...many of whom have many years and many domains in the game and can smell when they are being handed a plate of caca.

Shame on them....

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know the world is upside down when the pool pulls the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom