Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Pool Domain Marketplace Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe NameScout is just an offshore branch of Pool.com ... Pool's own (and original) registrar is www.internic.ca ...NameScout (see how closely it resembles internic.ca) looks like it is Pool.com's subsidiary company registered in Barbados

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Question, I have an OLD pool account, when I login and try to go to any page I get my prefrences page?

and any link I go to has the same.

What's this about.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Pool on the phone today and explained my concern of transferring a domain to another registrar and losing control of the domain. I explained that GreatDomains, Sedo, Afternic, etc. do not require such a transfer and I didn't think they would be successful until they changed that policy.

I'll list a few to see how it goes...

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually LIKE all the restrictions and costs.

Pool gets a lot of traffic and a lot of attention from "players". The fewer domains that get listed, the more attention should get paid to each individual name.

If their system means that they only end up getting a couple of hundred serious listings running at any one time, well at first glance that seems infinitely more desirable than Sedo or Afternic with millions of listings competing for attention.

Of course, the acid test is this: will their arrangement SELL NAMES, and if it does, will they sell at good prices? Nothing else ultimately matters.

As a test, I'm in the process of listing a couple of names at the highest listing category.

Str

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Their support is terrible. Still haven't heard about the domains I listed. They should atleast tell me what the problem is. :(

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
URLCollection said:
Almost as bad as forcing you to park domains with them if you want to sell them on their site, as I have seen in the past at some brokered sites and boards. Steve

You DO have to park the name there. They take over the DNS while listed. It also says the listing has to be exlusive, meaning you'd have to remove from other forums like afternic and sedo if listed there.

It sounds to me like they pretty much take an escrow temporary ownership while listed so they can immediately transfer themselves if sold.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
In addition to the requirement that you move your domain to Namescout, listing fees range from $8-$20 per domain, so you pay whether or not you sell (unlike Afternic and Sedo). I think Pool could be a powerhouse in aftermarket sales, but not with the domain transfer requirement.

It says nothing on the front page, but in addition to the listing fee and renewal for namescout, they also charge a 10% commission. I don't have a problem with that, but I think it should be disclosed earlier on the front page. It does say if not sold on the first listing, you can relist once at no charge. I suggest reading the FAQ closely.

Here's part of the FAQ i regards to selling:
SELLING DOMAINS IN THE DOMAIN MARKETPLACE

How can I sell a domain in the Pool.com Domain Marketplace?

To sell a domain, go to the Sell Your Domain form which will take you through the process of listing your domain step-by-step.

Why do I have to transfer my Domain to Pool.com’s trusted registrar partner?

We are able to provide a much greater degree of security to both our buyers and our sellers if your domain is transferred to a trusted third party registrar partner. This allows smoother and faster transactions and significantly reduces the likelihood of fraud.

Can I list my domain at Pool.com if I have it listed somewhere else?

No. In order to list your domain for sale at Pool.com, it has to be listed exclusively at Pool.com. However, this is only for a short time period - the listing duration that you choose (up to 14 days) plus a few additional days for the transaction to complete.

What happens if my domain does not sell?

If your domain does not sell by the time your listing period is over, you will have the option of re-listing it a second time for free. You can re-list your domain by logging into your Pool.com account, clicking on the Domain Marketplace tab, selecting the Manage Sales tab and clicking on the Re-list My Domain link beside the domain you want to re-list. You can change any listing information associated with the domain (such as price) during the re-listing process.

If you do not wish to re-list your domain on Pool.com, the DNS and email information for the domain will be reset to the default information you set forth in your Pool.com account, and you may administer the domain as you wish.

What Top Level Domains (TLDs) can I sell on Pool.com?

You can sell most gTLDs and ccTLDs on Pool.com. However, TLDs that have restrictions on the type of registrant that can own domains under such TLD are unlikely to sell effectively on Pool.com. If you have a question about a particular TLD, please contact [email protected].

What is a Domain Authorization Code?

A Domain Authorization Code is a 6 to 16 character code created when the domain name was first registered. Essentially it is the "password" for a domain name and aids in the identification of the domain owner so proper authority can be established.

If your domain has an extension other than .COM or .NET it may require a domain authorization code to complete the transfer to the buyer. You will need to enter your domain authorization code in the Domain Information section of the Sell Your Domain form.

How do I get my Domain Authorization Code?

In order to obtain your Domain Authorization Code you must contact your current registrar.

Can I bulk upload domains for sale?

Yes, if you would like to bulk upload your domains, please contact [email protected].

How can I list a domain for sale for a fixed price of more than $5,000 or a minimum auction closing price higher than $2,500?

Pool.com has set these automatic limits in order to prevent extreme speculation. If you would like to sell your domain for a higher fixed price or minimum closing price, please contact [email protected] and we will work with you personally to sell your domain(s).

Will Pool.com make any changes to the WHOIS information for the domain?

Yes, Pool.com will set the DNS (website) and email information to point to Pool.com marketing tools designed to help promote and sell the domain. All other domain WHOIS information will be as you set forth in your Pool.com account information.

How do I get paid after I successfully sell a domain on Pool.com?

When your domain listing ends or your auction closes and your domain has successfully been sold, Pool.com will collect payment from the buyer of your domain. Subsequently, Pool.com will provide payment to you via check (minus the Pool.com commission). You will receive your check shortly after the end of the sale (payment is held in escrow for a short period of time to reduce fraud).

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about a couple unanswered questions. When you transfer to namescout, I assume they are adding a year registration and them limit you to staying there for 60 days. What if a name is already at namescout? Do they add another year to reg and still limit the transfer out?

The listing fee is less than namescout's renewal fee, so in effect the cost by adding a year reg isn't all that bad. At leat if you don't sell, you get another year reg for the listing fee and 10 months to transfer it after the 60 day hold. Probably more than most of us pay, but still something. They never really SAY they add the year for the transfer though if it's not sold. If already at namescout, I assume there's no transfer and thus no year added?

If transferred for sale, does it go in a new holding account, or does it stay in my own namescout account? It sounds like they take complete control during the sale period.

I like having the domain parked on the sale page. (which I assume points to the exact domain name auction?) However, if the listing starts immediately, the DNS may not propagate for several days meaning you lose one advantage to the sale listing.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what they said during my phone conversation with them, a year is added no matter what...and yes, you lose control of the domain until the sale is over.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
marketscript said:
I believe NameScout is just an offshore branch of Pool.com ... Pool's own (and original) registrar is www.internic.ca ...NameScout (see how closely it resembles internic.ca) looks like it is Pool.com's subsidiary company registered in Barbados

When snapnames first came out, almost every name I won there was captured by namescout. The ship jumping to pool, really hurt the viability of snapnames.

I checked out namescout long ago, before they were associated with pool and did find that they were an offshore registry for another registrar. I don't think they are part of pool ownership, but couldn't say for sure. I've always been reluctant to deal with registrars who use laws of other countries instead of my own. I'd hate to think of trying to resolve a legal dispute in Barbados. I would suspect they may be there as a tax haven or to avoid more restrictive US or Canadian laws in some way.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I mentioned that same issue...the legal problems if my name is not returned. The fact I'm transferring a domain with no legal document proving my ownership. It would be a nightmare trying to get the domain back if pool.com had a database meltdown and had 5000 names with no idea of who owned what...or what would happen if they transferred the domain to the wrong person by mistake?

Theer is no way I'm listing my 5K+ domains on Pool until I feel more secure with their process.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remember, it's not like Afternic. Domains only stay listed at Pool for 7-15 days. Of course, if something happened during that time it could get pretty nasty, but it's not like you're gambling long-term on stability.

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adoptabledomains said:
When snapnames first came out, almost every name I won there was captured by namescout. The ship jumping to pool, really hurt the viability of snapnames.

I checked out namescout long ago, before they were associated with pool and did find that they were an offshore registry for another registrar. I don't think they are part of pool ownership, but couldn't say for sure. I've always been reluctant to deal with registrars who use laws of other countries instead of my own. I'd hate to think of trying to resolve a legal dispute in Barbados. I would suspect they may be there as a tax haven or to avoid more restrictive US or Canadian laws in some way.

Did their site look like as it is now when they are with Snapnames? I suspect POOL has bought NameScout just to cut the partnership with Snapnames, and for other benefits you have mentioned above.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pool and Namescout are 1 and the same. Len Bayles was the guy who set up snapnames and he's also the one who set up Pool. Pool contracts out for the registry connections of it's participating registrars and actually takes control of those connections for the drops. A number of the registrars have been set up and accredited mostly to increase their odds in the drops. Hence the lack of services and support from these if any one of their connections catches the name for you.

Certainly the independent auction is a needed facility for domainers today, and a smart move by them. They should have the commission information more prominantly displayed (didn't see it in my first look) as well as the transfer requirements and 60 day freeze on moves.
Doc

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now they can bid more on their own backordered domains because if they are the high bidder they would claim that domains are unpaid and then re-listed for sale at the auction.

Its just like they take dropped domains for themselves.

And who knows if other registrars like esite.com is owned by their buddies, relatives, sis-in-laws, etc.

They're going to Microsoft the domain industry..

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i didnt see the 10% either

so the clear problems are :

if the name doesnt sell, its another $7 to transfer back to my own registrar, plus have to wait 60 days, admin nightmare.

we still dont know what the landing page looks like, could be big ad for pool drop catching.

little credibility with namescout.

page howe

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pool support is very slow, from my personal experiences it takes at least a week before they reply back to you but they have always came through and taken care of the problem no matter what...

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I suppose transferring to namescout is good because:

1) The domain is in Pool's control, the owner no longer can revoke the auction, thus adds stability
2) I believe NameScout and Pool are the same company, it increases their market share slightly.

I won't list, but surely consider bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom