Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Pool "ghost bidders" suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I found another weird one: encycolpedia.com.

Bid up over $5,000 and then closed at $2,700. Here was my email to them... comments welcome.

"I've been really worried about "ghost bidders" on your system and this appears to be another example. I've seen a couple of these happen like this, and I've spoken with many others about it happening quite frequently for other domains not on my lists.

Your numbering system starts over each time and affords the bidders zero ability to identify the credibility of those bidding against us. There is nothing more than an honor system at work with the bidding system and it worries me greatly --since it is bidders like me that end up paying inflated prices.

There really needs to be some kind of check-and-balance in place. For instance, there should be a credibility scale like eBay uses, so that we know about new bidders and the likelyhood of whether they'll pay up, may be competitors trying to spike the bid to drain our funds, or if it's a legitimate bidder.

For instance, encycolpedia.com was bid up to $5,000+ at the last time I checked it. Now, it shows closed at $2,700... this makes me wonder ..."what happened?" Did the high bidder bid up the price and then not pay up? Or is your system not tracking bids properly? Either way frieghtens me because either way will unethically cost us money.

Regards,

-Wesley"

M

mole

Ghost bidders pull you to the edge of the cliff and when you reach out, they disappear in a wisp of mist and you fall head down to your death.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Ghost bidders pull you to the edge of the cliff and when you reach out, they disappear in a wisp of mist and you fall head down to your death.

A bit like 'Catcher in the rye, eh?' I have 3 copies of that book, but I've never shot anyone...

that I remember :-D

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Geeez ... some people pay way too much for misspells. That ones worth $30 max.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains
Geeez ... some people pay way too much for misspells. That ones worth $30 max.

Agreed. I was hesitant to put it on my list because I didn't want to pay the $60 fee... but, then I figured I could sell it to the dumb smuck that bid $5,000 on NW for it (if I won it without competition)... It really does have to be a ploy to drive up name values on worthless names. There's just no other explanation.

M

mole

Originally posted by puravida
It really does have to be a ploy to drive up name values on worthless names. There's just no other explanation.

I can't even spell the word on my best days. :dead:

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
I can't even spell the word on my best days. :dead:

LOL

...yeah, I can barely spell the misspelling... have to copy/paste. My wife is in worse trouble, though. She can't even get help 'cause she can't even spell dictionary.com :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom