Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Poor .TV Sucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was browsing Ebay tonight and came across this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2061158427

A few hours to go and the poor sap can't even get a $5 bid on a name they paid $1500 for. Perhaps because .TV requires the buyer to pay $1500 every year to renew it!

I really feel sorry for people who got suckered in that whole .TV scam when I see things like this. In today's market they could have bought a couple of decent .coms (or registered 200 drops!) instead of pissing the $1500 down the drain. Live and learn I guess.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow--- .TV premiums are a scam, man.

No domain name should have a premium renewal.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
.TV renewals increase by 10% every year too,unless they did away with that. SO if they paid $1500 for the registration, next year it would be $1650, then $1815, etc. . .

-Bob

Lord Baltimore

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I fell into a similiar trap. I invested in *.CC when they first came out.

Not only are the annual fees ridiculous, but they lock you into a 2-year deal. So, I bought one *.TV. I then was given a renewal notice which said I had to renew. I argued with them and they took a very hard line, threatening to sue me, etc. So, I ended up renewing that worthless *.TV.

I think it is ok to make mistakes like that if you learn from them. I know I learned a great deal from my mistakes in the alternative gTLD business.

M

mole

Originally posted by Lord Baltimore
I know I learned a great deal from my mistakes in the alternative gTLD business.

There is definitely no gTLD, lord, but a worthless ccTLD that represents a small sinking island, Tuvalu, in the Pacific Ocean.

.tv, .cc, .cd, .ws are more than just worthless, they are a liability.

Stick with gTLDs. Nothing beats .info and .biz for the new ones :cool:

cxz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of .aero and .museum. Unfortunately I have to own museums airports first to get these, so they are very expensive indeed;)

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can get a subdomain in .aero without owing an airport or airline. See the .aero rules at:

http://www.nic.aero/howtoregister_a.php

(at the bottom, they have individuals, including recreational pilots)

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it "legal" to get this domains and use it to sell friends dvds ans videos?

Originally posted by Duke of Earl
I was browsing Ebay tonight and came across this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2061158427

A few hours to go and the poor sap can't even get a $5 bid on a name they paid $1500 for. Perhaps because .TV requires the buyer to pay $1500 every year to renew it!

I really feel sorry for people who got suckered in that whole .TV scam when I see things like this. In today's market they could have bought a couple of decent .coms (or registered 200 drops!) instead of pissing the $1500 down the drain. Live and learn I guess.

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
friends.tv...i think that would go for a lot, as "Friends" is a very popular tv show (not that I've ever seen it myself). I'd expect it gets some typeins since tv domains are used as official tv show sites when the com is gone.

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe not a lot, like I said, but at least more than $5

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Auction closed with No bids - not even $5. Do you want to buy a premium .TV name for $1500 now?

D

dkny

Originally posted by lreh83
friends.tv...i think that would go for a lot, as "Friends" is a very popular tv show (not that I've ever seen it myself). I'd expect it gets some typeins since tv domains are used as official tv show sites when the com is gone.

yeah, and get problem with TM issue

elequa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some .tv names are very valuable. I am not saying this because I own
www.mp3.tv
www.music.tv
www.go.tv
www.chat.tv
And so on.
From a branding point of view there is huge potential. For example www.Bthere.tv is amazing.
Expensive? Yes they are. And, yes .com rules. There is no argument. However, if you are in the entertainment biz I think .tv is a good way to stick out. Again, you still have to have the .com :)) I had to make sure I had mp3tv .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz it is a hassle.
And this is my opinion. I am never right but might have a point.

lreh83

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.tv can be a meaningful domain. Most lite webusers dont even know what .com stands for without thinking about it.

D

dkny

the problem of .tv is its rip-offed price. it's definitely not for good for domain speculators who have proof lost a lots of money on this extension.

I remember seeing a korean regging ch1, ch2, ch3, ch4 ... .ch40+ .tv and it was $1000/year each for 3-letter name. imagine how much he lose on that alone.

D

dkny

Originally posted by elequa
Some .tv names are very valuable. I am not saying this because I own
www.mp3.tv
www.music.tv
www.go.tv
www.chat.tv
And so on.
From a branding point of view there is huge potential. For example www.Bthere.tv is amazing.
Expensive? Yes they are. And, yes .com rules. There is no argument. However, if you are in the entertainment biz I think .tv is a good way to stick out. Again, you still have to have the .com :)) I had to make sure I had mp3tv .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz it is a hassle.
And this is my opinion. I am never right but might have a point.

elaqua,

I'm sure you're in the entertainment business. But I'd like to know if the revenue from mp3.tv can cover the annual reg. fee? would you like to share with us your experience? I believe people here would like to know it it works out for you.

elequa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dkny

elaqua,

I'm sure you're in the entertainment business. But I'd like to know if the revenue from mp3.tv can cover the annual reg. fee? would you like to share with us your experience? I believe people here would like to know it it works out for you.

Well I dont plan to make a penny out of www.mp3.tv until mid 2003. The reg. fees are not an obstacle. Whether I cover them or not, it makes no difference.

D

dkny

I have to say that the interface for mp3.tv is a great design. But the problem is it's quite slow. I'm not sure if a lot of people accessing it, or it slow at the web hosting provider. You should reconsider if the hosting is slow. It will kill your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom