Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Popular file-sharing website Megaupload shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's wild. Interesting timing with SOPA and PIPA.

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have ambivaliant feelings in this. Yes of course you must not help criminals distribute illegal stuff (like MegaUpload are doing by allowing anyone to upload anything, without checking if the content is legal or not.).

BUT, how can we expect anyone to be able to control every single upload. This can't be done, and by closing a site, just because some people use it for illegal activity is not the right step to take.

Where is our freedom of speech and press/media we as democratic nations are so proud of? We look down on (what we think are) non-democratic countries, but then we actually come up with laws, rules and regulations like SOPA, that decrease our freedom.

How can that be? How can these rights that our ancestries has fought and died for, be taken away from us, without anybody care?

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do your initials stand for Mega Upload?

I have ambivaliant feelings in this. Yes of course you must not help criminals distribute illegal stuff (like MegaUpload are doing by allowing anyone to upload anything, without checking if the content is legal or not.).

BUT, how can we expect anyone to be able to control every single upload. This can't be done, and by closing a site, just because some people use it for illegal activity is not the right step to take.

Where is our freedom of speech and press/media we as democratic nations are so proud of? We look down on (what we think are) non-democratic countries, but then we actually come up with laws, rules and regulations like SOPA, that decrease our freedom.

How can that be? How can these rights that our ancestries has fought and died for, be taken away from us, without anybody care?

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lol . nope. Its M. Unal my name.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There wasn't any due process. They decided and took the site down and arrested all those involved. It's just messed up. Youtube controls each upload. Their script can detect copyrighted content. I am pretty sure MegaUpload could've hired some developers to come up with something similar.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Here's the indictment: http://documents.latimes.com/justice-department-indictment-file-sharing-site-megaupload/

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Youtube controls each upload. Their script can detect copyrighted content. I am pretty sure MegaUpload could've hired some developers to come up with something similar.

Youtube are only a videosharing site, not file.

I am sure even Youtube would think it would be difficult to hack into password protected zip-files and then detect if the files in the zip-file is illegal or not. :)

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read the indictment: The major issue was MegaUpload.com failing to take down copyrighted videos. Copyright holders sent multiple notices and MegaUpload would tell them the content was taken down. But the content was still found on their servers.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have visted MGU on more than one occasion, and I can say that I am not surprised by the actions taken against them.

Honestly, I am surprised it took this long.

This isnt about SOPA or PIPA, current laws already well address their issue.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Proof that SOPA is not needed.

koba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At least, in this case...
Kim Schmitz is now where he belongs....

koba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"The Justice Department alleged that MegaUpload was a mega conspiracy."
LOL
Wasn't aware that the Justice Department has ~some~ kind of humour ;-)

koba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...the property to be forfeited includes...:
2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom
Licence Plate No. "GOD"
2011 Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG
Licence Plate No. "POLICE"
2009 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG
Licence Plate No. "MAFIA"
2010 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
Licence Plate No. "GUILTY"

:rolleyes:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...the property to be forfeited includes...:
2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom
Licence Plate No. "GOD"
2011 Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG
Licence Plate No. "POLICE"
2009 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG
Licence Plate No. "MAFIA"
2010 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
Licence Plate No. "GUILTY"

:rolleyes:

With his kind of money I'd pick some other Benzes. Maybe an SLR McLaren or a 2012 CLS 63 AMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom