Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Potential trademark risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's a site I used to frequent a lot. It's actually very inactive now and has lost a lot of it's traffic. It was recently bought out with intentions of furthering it, but that owner is now looking to sell for about $3,000.

But there's actually a very public trademark issue online over the name "Rap City" where they fought a (then) 12 year old kid to shut down the domain.

The .com I'm looking at has an extra letter at the end (rapcity*.com). I'm not intending to seek revenue off of it, but to re-direct it to my own site. And at $3,000, I see this as a trademark risk. Should I back off?

Zona

Arizona Wildcats
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to redirect traffice to your site then it sounds like you are seeking to make revenue from it - just indirectly.

I have no idea how much traffic this domain is generating but for $3,000 with some possible issues I would be careful.

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're right in a sense. But at the same time, I'm trying to upstart my
own business venture. And I'm doing it to simply re-direct the talent
that I've seen on that site without spamming them. But I definately have
to take your opinion into account. Here's the stats I got from one of those sites:

PageRank: 3/10
Alexa Rank: 277,966

Link Popularity:
Incoming Google Links: 4
Incoming Yahoo Links: 114
Incoming MSN Links: 72
Incoming Alexa Links: 19
DMOZ Listed: No
Archive.org Listed: Yes

I can't gauge whether that's any good or not. Mainly the incoming links. But that is apparently dating back to August 19th (approximately 4 days). But at $3,000 - barring any trademark risk, can I tell him to go much lower than that and pose a legit argument?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Upstarting your own business venture with traffic intended for the TM....

^^^^ this is textbook squatting

ParkQuick.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Given that history I'd leave it alone. You'd certainly be in danger of a TM lawsuit.

But there's actually a very public trademark issue online over the name "Rap City" where they fought a (then) 12 year old kid to shut down the domain.

The .com I'm looking at has an extra letter at the end (rapcity*.com). I'm not intending to seek revenue off of it, but to re-direct it to my own site. And at $3,000, I see this as a trademark risk. Should I back off?

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks fella's. I figured I'd bargain with the guy to go down. But just based on the fact it's not only a trademark risk, but that my intentions are illegal?

This site came through again. I should've came here to learn how to shave when I first hit puberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom