Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

ppc co only pay for type-in traffics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmscheng

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if all pcc cos only pay for type-in traffics (like sedo?)? they won't count diverted / forwarded traffic right?

Rico

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

tmscheng

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Rico said:

but sedo seems won't count those clicks from non-type-in traffic

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Type-in is only thing 'worth' anything to advertisers. It shoulders the burden for alot of crap traffic (ie. misdirected / diverted) traffic. Crap traffic will either A) not convert and let you hang on till advertisers finally black-list and kick you off (earnings confiscated). Or, B) let you keep sending provided it's more-or-less relevant, but eventually die because either links die off or (again) advertiser kicks you off because they do not recognize the url as valid.

Funny this question comes up now. In the last week I have heard of a number of advertisers who are starting to read URL's to establish 'value in traffic' penalizing those with irrelevant crap to assit those with great names to make more money.

tmscheng

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i raised this question becoz i believe many stats provided by many domain sellers may not be type-in ones but they haven't clarified whether they are. Many names look very ood and yet they can still very good stats and earnings, so i wonder if the ppc cos actually allow non type-in traffics and pay them.

Do you realise many stats of many strange / odd names look unreasonable?

Chaiki said:
Type-in is only thing 'worth' anything to advertisers. It shoulders the burden for alot of crap traffic (ie. misdirected / diverted) traffic. Crap traffic will either A) not convert and let you hang on till advertisers finally black-list and kick you off (earnings confiscated). Or, B) let you keep sending provided it's more-or-less relevant, but eventually die because either links die off or (again) advertiser kicks you off because they do not recognize the url as valid.

Funny this question comes up now. In the last week I have heard of a number of advertisers who are starting to read URL's to establish 'value in traffic' penalizing those with irrelevant crap to assit those with great names to make more money.

M

mole

Chaiki said:
Type-in is only thing 'worth' anything to advertisers.

To some extent, I agree that is true. Unscrupulous web operators can generate large quantities of useless traffic using a whole host of techniques, some so good you can't tell except that those hits don't pay money to buy stuff.

However search engine traffic is also extremely valuable to advertisers, and increasingly so.

I think that we should also make extremely clear what 'type-in' traffic means, because this can be fundamentally misleading when it comes to valueing a domain.

1. Google.com has a lot of type-ins. But that is conditioned behavior and a function of development efforts.

2. Sex.com has a lot of type-ins. But this kind of traffic is probably curiousity-led, or the hundreds of thousands of people looking for a domain name to buy. And not necessarily navigation value driven.

The concept of 'type-ins' have long been used by people to artificially inflate their domain value. So novices, or people with more money than sense - be careful.

tmscheng said:
Do you realise many stats of many strange / odd names look unreasonable?

Yes, I've seen 163olioli.com claiming 50 "type-ins" a day. It defies common sense. People deliberately suspend their common sense because they so desperately want to believe that it is true. That "I'm getting a good deal". Strange how people live life.

Caveat emptor. Simple advice.

Legend.name

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
To some extent, I agree that is true. Unscrupulous web operators can generate large quantities of useless traffic using a whole host of techniques, some so good you can't tell except that those hits don't pay money to buy stuff.

However search engine traffic is also extremely valuable to advertisers, and increasingly so.

I think that we should also make extremely clear what 'type-in' traffic means, because this can be fundamentally misleading when it comes to valueing a domain.

1. Google.com has a lot of type-ins. But that is conditioned behavior and a function of development efforts.

2. Sex.com has a lot of type-ins. But this kind of traffic is probably curiousity-led, or the hundreds of thousands of people looking for a domain name to buy. And not necessarily navigation value driven.

The concept of 'type-ins' have long been used by people to artificially inflate their domain value. So novices, or people with more money than sense - be careful.

Yes, I've seen 163olioli.com claiming 50 "type-ins" a day. It defies common sense. People deliberately suspend their common sense because they so desperately want to believe that it is true. That "I'm getting a good deal". Strange how people live life.

:eek:k:

tmscheng

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
mole said:

can and will ppc cos separate real type-ins from search-engines directed traffic? If they do, is the 163olioli.com 's claim cheating the ppc co or the potential domain buyers?

M

mole

tmscheng said:
can and will ppc cos separate real type-ins from search-engines directed traffic? If they do, is the 163olioli.com 's claim cheating the ppc co or the potential domain buyers?

Search Google for 'click fraud' - its a very common practice on the Internet. It can be very difficult to detect. Some systems use real people from places like India for very cheap click labor.

tmscheng

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Search Google for 'click fraud' - its a very common practice on the Internet. It can be very difficult to detect. Some systems use real people from places like India for very cheap click labor.

No matter how cheap the labour will be in india, will it justify for just cents clicks everytime? And if every click is generated from the same ip address, the ppc co still can't tell?

M

mole

tmscheng said:
No matter how cheap the labour will be in india, will it justify for just cents clicks everytime? And if every click is generated from the same ip address, the ppc co still can't tell?

You use an elaborate system of proxies, and each person can click just once per day but every day, and use armies of people from different "work at home" locations.

The PPC companies face a huge problem when it comes to seiving the chaff out from their traffic but they are increasingly trying to apply more sensitive and sophisticated filters, and in general experienced advertisers are resigned to right off a percentage of paid useless clicks as "cost of doing business".

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:

I disagree. There is "crap" type-in traffic, and there is "golden" link traffic. As long as the visitors are receptive for what the advertiser is selling, the traffic is good traffic. If not, then the advertiser's money is wasted, and one way or another he won't keep wasting it. It is counter-productive to try to make money from mis-directed traffic because unless the advertiser gets good value for his money the money won't keep flowing.

Many PPC sponsors qualify traffic by having the visitor click a category link or search on a term. That filters out a lot of the junk. If you have traffic that doesn't convert well, you may just need to learn more about the traffic.

As for type-ins of odd names like 163olioli.com, you might be surprised by what is typed-in in some non-english-speaking environments. They have used an Internet for years that didn't allow them to use their native characters, so they developed "work-arounds". Numbers are very significant in Asia and in the Middle East. I agree that 163olioli.com probably won't have many US type-ins, but to see what it does have, you have to actually look at the traffic coming in.

M

mole

chatcher said:
I disagree. There is "crap" type-in traffic, and there is "golden" link traffic. As long as the visitors are receptive for what the advertiser is selling, the traffic is good traffic. If not, then the advertiser's money is wasted, and one way or another he won't keep wasting it. It is counter-productive to try to make money from mis-directed traffic because unless the advertiser gets good value for his money the money won't keep flowing.

Many PPC sponsors qualify traffic by having the visitor click a category link or search on a term. That filters out a lot of the junk. If you have traffic that doesn't convert well, you may just need to learn more about the traffic.

As for type-ins of odd names like 163olioli.com, you might be surprised by what is typed-in in some non-english-speaking environments. They have used an Internet for years that didn't allow them to use their native characters, so they developed "work-arounds". Numbers are very significant in Asia and in the Middle East. I agree that 163olioli.com probably won't have many US type-ins, but to see what it does have, you have to actually look at the traffic coming in.

Well said, catch.

However, many people don't use the sensitive tools, nor human resources, needed to look at the traffic coming in. The management of large advertising companies say, great, the traffic in coming in, good job. The IS manager smiles, and keeps quite.

I'm not saying this is no good. Whatever brings the money in is good for any party, so long as management is happy. That's what counts.

I believe that the Internet will come back one full circle. Interactive advertising was originally sold because it was more "accountable" than other media known at the time. You could actually pay for what you got. Unscupulous traffic manipulators got wind of that, and configured accordingly to suck money from that. These people, are pros. These people are only earning a living.

I see the Internet advertising coming back to its very origins in the coming years as :-

1. PPC will mean Pay-Per-Conversion

2. Traffic will be audited to a very high degree, creating a new food chain for experts in this field.

Just like spam, the world needs to keep vigilence and continue to build the white knights who will have to exceed the knowledge of black hackers. The Internet economy, has bred both good and bad talent in a scale that knows no boundaries. And which the ignorant management of companies, cannot even begin to understand.

Companies who realise this and provide skilled solutions for this, will thrive in this new new economic circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom