Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

PPC Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes I got you you snoopy..

I was just pointing out that sometimes it's easier to take the path of least resistance(for us smaller webmasters)..cell phones, travel, tickets etc..everyone is already there..just using that for example..

I find it easier to actually REACH (and convert) a market that isnt already saturated.

I dont use pop ups..frankly I disagree with the idea of using pop ups..(each his own) I just cant bring myself to irrate the hell out of my traffic..

I rarely ever even see a pop up due to the fact that I use this program ............

Well ..everyone knows where to those pop up killers

Hey isnt snoopy TM'd ? LOL

BID

Domain summit 2024

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner RealNames is in a position MOST webmasters are..they simply do not have the traffic because ..

A: the TRUE type-in domains that could generate 5,000 hits a day are long gon.

B: Most(I lead that category) dont have the time ,energy or talents to generate a content rich site that would generate that much traffic from links or word of mouth..and Pay for posiition is not cost effictive for PPC programs(usually..there are exceptions)

I was in the similiar position a few years ago and realized trying to get there at 1/4 penny a click just wasnt going to cut it..and started concentrating on actually selling PRODUCT..a few dollars per sale and you can actually see progress when you are only getting 20 hits a day.

20 hits a day and you can be making $40 or more per web site per month..

That is the path I took .. alot of small web sites .nothing complicated..you dont need a lot of talent..just the ability to build a basic web site X 10 X 20 X 100 or more .. the most inexpensive hosting you can find and thats really it..

I sell Posters but the product dosent matter.. I stay away from high ticket items because peple are still hesitant about sending large sums over the internet..(which is rather amusing actually..if you are sending $20 for a poster or $200 for a watch dosent matter...they arent grabbing that money..they would be grabbing the CC #'s)

It is really simply about finding a product that you want sell, that there is a demand for , that you can get good keyword domains for cheap and of course that their are high commissions on sales.

But most imporatant IMO.is a product that has a wide range of possible keyword possibilites..

snoopy's idscellular.com may be an excellent program but just imagine trying to compete for position in the SE's over basically a few keywords for "cell phones"..
Think about that for a second.. lets say conservatively you have 1000 small time (and some big boys) all competing for position for cell phones..what page do you think you can get on ? 5th 20th ..well you already know that unless you are on page 1 possibly page 2 ..you simply wont get any traffic...can you break "cell phones" down and still get targeted traffic?

With my posters sales for example..

If all I did was try and sell "Posters" I'd be up the creek without a paddle as they say..

there are literally thousands of webmasters competing for "Posters" (position on the se's) remember thats what this discussion is all about..you DONT have a domain that gets 5000 hits a day..your only real choice is SE placement..meaning no further down than page 2..

Ok, so maybe I dont place well for "posters" (yet, anyways)

thats fine because I can break that product line down to specific targets within the overall market..

Baseball Posters
Golf Posters
Basketball Posters
Vintage Posters
Music Posters
Movie Posters
Hockey Posters

Shaq Posters
Iverson Posters (Ummmm wanted posters ! lol)

Wanted Posters

Greenbay Packers Posters
Britney Spears posters etc....

I can and do place well in most of these.

You dont need 5000 hits ..you need 20 TARGETED hits..

You say ..hey thats fine and all but you cant afford 20 hosting plans..sure you can.I never pay more than $2 a month for hosting(in fact I use Free hosting on about 1/3 of my sites) .. EVERY one of my sites is profitable..

So my advise to realnames (he has heard this before) or anyone in a similiar position ... concentrate on products that can be broken up into smaller units--err specif targets that you dont necessairly need thousands of hits.. still do very well ..

Product line examples..

Watches
mens watches
womens watches
kids watches
pocket watches
sport watches
Rolex Watches
Swiss Watches etc..

I prefer to make each line it's own web site..
but you can simply start by adding pages

I have had excellent results using sub-domains also.

like for example..(not spamming..no one here cares about buying posters from me ..just to show what you can do with small amounts of traffic)

nascar.posters-posters.com/
wrestlingposters.posters-posters.com
spiderman.posters-posters.com

safesys said "Nobody said getting traffic was easy, as with anything in domains - you get revenue for the work you put in."

I agree a thousand percent..you have to really put forth the effort or you're simply just spinning your wheels..Type-in traffic simply makes the job easier..thats all.. BID

A superb post on this subject Bid, thanks for all your knowledge and feedback. I agree about even 20 TARGETED hits/day may be profitable selling a product, not affiliate or PPC programs.

In fact, I have some sites with only 5 to 10 uniques a day I think could make profits with items for sale. My main problem is finding products/services to offer.

Can you imagine the potential if you have say 500 small developed sites averaging 20/hits day and generating say $40-month per site? That's $20,000 month revenue. 1,000 small developed sites could generate almost half-million dollars/year!

The cost of running the sites can be relatively minor if you do your own webpage development and webhosting. For example, my hosting cost right now is less than $1-mo per site and will drop even more as I put more sites online as my monthly cost is a flat fee.

Again, the problem is having targeted profits/services to sell to the targeted visitors. Anyone here got any ideas on that? It's neccessary to have keyword rich domains to help search engine returns and also get some type-ins too. Even a low traffic site with 20 well targeted hits a day may have as much impact and revenue potential as thousands of non-targeted hits.

P.S. To Bid, if you recall you OK'd my reprinting of some of your great posts on Afternic (with credit to you). They shut down the forums before I could do so. Would it be OK if I did that on this post too?

If the traffic is targetted you'll already know what they are looking for and can tap into that vein.

You're absolutely right that low numbers of targetted hits can outpull masses of non-targetted traffic - as long as the conversion ratio and profit per sale make up for the shortfall in traffic.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys If the traffic is targetted you'll already know what they are looking for and can tap into that vein. You're absolutely right that low numbers of targetted hits can outpull masses of non-targetted traffic - as long as the conversion ratio and profit per sale make up for the shortfall in traffic.

Of course the convesion ratio and profit per sale is critical.

BTW, I find it amazing how having 5,000 hits/day is discussed here when I always thought only 50 uniques a day was doing very good and 150/day was considered heavy traffic. :laugh:

P.S. Safesys, did you see my apology post to you?

You have to remember that there is traffic and there is traffic.

You can't compare 5k uniques from general domain traffic to 100 highly targetted uniques for a good profit product/service as you get much better conversion ratios with the latter and you will make more than from the 5k general which by its nature isn't easy to be second guess (which is why ppc works for it as they choose what they are interested in themselves - but for less money per unique obviously).

the "lots of small sites making small profit = big profit overall" mentality works well for both approaches - but both require work and skill (especially in the targetted area) to build.

thats the real beauty of the domain industry, there are so many ways to approach it and no rights or wrongs.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remember, it takes only:-

$27.40 a day to make $10,000 in a year
$274 a day to make $100,000 a year
$2740 a day to make ONE MILLION DOLLARS a year

Why is this worth stressing? Well, if you can build 28 sites that each brings in $30 a month (an average of a dollar a day) you've already increased your annual income by ten thousand dollars.

Break the "problem" of making money on the Web down into tiny little manageable bite-sized chunks like this and suddenly what seems like an impossible mountain to climb becomes a series of very manageable steps...

If you focus on building one new mini-site per day, and 1 in 3 sites actually "works" to the extent of producing $1 a day revenue stream over time, then after a year you'll be making $120 a day or $44,000 a year!

The problem is that it's all about hard work and repetition repetition repetition, plus the ability to not expect too much from any ONE site (i.e. instead of spending a week building a site that makes $2 a day, spend a day building a site that makes $1 a day - but build *7* such sites in a week)

I'm just starting down the above path, having concentrated for the longest time on building small numbers of relatively high traffic, "real" sites...

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Genki
Remember, it takes only:-

$27.40 a day to make $10,000 in a year
$274 a day to make $100,000 a year
$2740 a day to make ONE MILLION DOLLARS a year

Why is this worth stressing? Well, if you can build 28 sites that each brings in $30 a month (an average of a dollar a day) you've already increased your annual income by ten thousand dollars.

Break the "problem" of making money on the Web down into tiny little manageable bite-sized chunks like this and suddenly what seems like an impossible mountain to climb becomes a series of very manageable steps...

If you focus on building one new mini-site per day, and 1 in 3 sites actually "works" to the extent of producing $1 a day revenue stream over time, then after a year you'll be making $120 a day or $44,000 a year!

The problem is that it's all about hard work and repetition repetition repetition, plus the ability to not expect too much from any ONE site (i.e. instead of spending a week building a site that makes $2 a day, spend a day building a site that makes $1 a day - but build *7* such sites in a week)

I'm just starting down the above path, having concentrated for the longest time on building small numbers of relatively high traffic, "real" sites...

Good stuff Genki. What you are saying make sense. Just look at Wal Mart and Mc Donalds. They did not become this big just by expanding themselves to only a few places. They are all over, and they don't care if they have another branch only a few blocks away. I myself were also more concentrated in developing bigger sites like you were. I have since a couple of months ago started to move into in making smaller sites. And I have seen some improvement in profit. I still have a long way to go, before the serious money rolls in. But if you are presistent and believe in what you do. Then some day you will be able to pick up the reward of all the long and hard work you put in.

Good luck to you!!

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Genki

Great post! ... You lay it out ... it's a lemonade stand ... and keep multiplying ...

...simple

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by aactive
Genki

Great post! ... You lay it out ... it's a lemonade stand ... and keep multiplying ...

...simple

Bingo!!

Yes, I must agree. This is probably one of the better posts on the subject of internet revenue and growth. Hardly any fluff here which is a sign that everyone is shooting for what actually works.

One thing to add. If you have set up your web sites to make money you should have a disinterested 3rd party check out your site before you go live. It is critical. As a small business owner who has a few web sites, I have found this to be a great source of improving my sites, which translated into more revenue.

Just think of each visitor that comes to your site as a "real person". They are no different than customers who go to offline stores. If your offline store has a bad layout, crappy products (have you tried the product your selling) and bad customer service you won't get that customer back. Same thing is true for the "online store". Gotta make sure your site is set up for success and not failure. You could have the best product targetted at people most who are most likely to buy that product, but if your site looks amateurish, 9 times out of 10, they won't buy or even come back. You'd be surpised at what customers think is "amateurish". Being that they are used to Yahoo, eBay, and Amazon...they are used to certain conveniences on those sites.

This doesn't mean you need to spend a million on your web site, but clearly the bar is being raised. Not necessarily in sleek design, but navigation/services. You don't need a flash site, but certainly a site without easy search features, high-rez photos of products, your site is "amateurish" in most peoples' minds.

izopod

P.S Are you checking to see where your visitors are coming from?? What age group?? What region of the world?? These are other things you need to find out. To use my offline store example again. Most offline stores nowadays try to find out where their customers are coming from. They get this data from in-house credit cards with physical addresses, email address, etc, questions at point-of-purchase, promotional sign up sheets are the most often used in the offline world.

As a online store owner, you need to have a database where customers can sign up for store offerings/discounts etc. Never "on purpose" let a potential customer come to your site without trying to get to "know" them. With each customer you should try to build a long term relationship even though we know loyality on the internet is luke warm at best. It's better to get email updates from a "friend" then a "spammer".....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators