Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Pre-Release Shenanigans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMinds

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get feedback on NameJet's pre-release process.

The situation:

1. I am the only bidder on a couple of pre-release domains.

2. The domains are listed in my account as pending auction after the Backorder deadline is reached.

3. NameJet's FAQ indicates that when there's a single bidder, the auction will be closed immediately, my account charged and the domain assigned. That's what I expect.

4. A day and a half later, I have not received any emails from NameJet, the auction has not begun and I notice that the domains are now in my Wishlist.

5. A check of the registry shows that the domains have conveniently been renewed through 2010, although the registrar whois data still reports the expiry date that occurred last month. The whois data for one of the domains is now revealed (it had previously been protected by a privacy service) and a little research shows that the registrant information is not accurate (the same email address is associated with different names and addresses on different domains and looks downright bogus).

6. NameJet support informs me that the registrar can cancel an auction before, during or after (?) the auction for any reason and no further information can be provided.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The timing of the supposed "renewal" of both domains after I am the only pre-release bidder bothers me and I was under the impression that the backorder deadline is after the 30 day redemption period in which the current owner can renew the domain.

Last edited:

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well either the original owner extended OR Netsol/Enom when they saw you are the only bidder decided to keep it for themself which is possible according their TOS.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It has occurred to me either way, e.g. the owner renews it at the last moment - or the domain "vanishes" conveniently in the hands of a new registrant.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All pre-release domains are renewed through 2010....I'm not sure of the exact situation but does what are the nameservers?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, They have a monopoly on the best drops and can make all the rules. The vanishing name trick has happened to me at least 5 times after the drop time came and I was the only bidder....

Not much I can see I can do about it...so I have not lost sleep. If it is a name I must have...at the last minute I will put a $100 or $150 bid on it instead of the $69 and I am usually then put into an auction with a last second mystery bidder where I get the name at or around my top price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom