Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Premium 3 letter .com names - how many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this one for a while now.

There are over 17,000 possible combinations of 3 letter dot.com names available (excluding all numbers, dashes, etc). Considering that the large bulk of these characters are practically meaningless (q's, z's, y's), or a hard fit at least, how many premium 3 letter dot.coms exist? example:

Good 3 letters (random examples):

aaa.com
dsc.com
iou.com
awa.com
bnc.com
cbs.com
abc.com
evc.com
bvp.com
dln.com

OK 3 letters:

jkk.com
tjp.com
pvw.com

Lower tier:

zxq.com
xzq.com
zqz.com
gqy.com
yqv.com
qql.com
zxy.com

etc.

So do any of you have a guesstimate as to how many *top tier* 3 letter .coms are available on the secondary market? I understand that what constitutes a "top tier" name is somewhat arguable. Let's say AAA.com is premium, and zxy.com is lower tier for arguments sake.

My rough guess is there are about 5,000 top tier 3 letter dot.coms. With the majority of these in use, or taken by major corporations with little potential of ever being sold or released (ex. abc.com, att.com, mvp.com, swa.com), does anyone have any estimates as to how many are still up for grabs on the secondary market ? (meaning not claimed by a major corp.). I recently went looking to buy a good three letter, and just about gave up on account of no one was willing to sell for less than $10k.

maybe gregr wants to chime in on this - (already have a 3-letter greg - no need to sell me one : ))

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vvx.com -- $410 This seems like a good name and a fair price.
It's for sale in the "domains for sale" section here at DNforum.

I see a fair amount of 3 letter coms for sale and your right the asking prices are pretty high.

I really don't have a "legitimate" guesstimate but I would say the number is less than 5000 judging strictly by the number I have seen for sale at the various outlets such as Lafternic etc.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
togoodhlth -

yes, vvx.com seems fair in price, but I would still consider it lower tier.

maybe the premium 3-letters are truly worth at least $10k?

So now, I'm thinking out loud that maybe there are as little as 1000 or less premium 3-letter dot.coms that are undeveloped.

any other opinions on this?

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
which grouping would you place ply.com in?

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dictionary - my eNom accountID is: namepopper :D

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol... eh? what does that mean? :)

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just don't feel that name is up to par with the other ones you have. It's bringing you down man!

You better push it over to me. :D :D :D :D

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hmmm.... ply.com

hope I don't offend. In the OK to lower tier range. Can't attach a viable market to it -

not to say a market couldn't arise for it in the future - you never know.

I'm surprised there are not more replies to this thread. There are 600+ 2-letter dot coms, and this street is pretty much locked up. Looks like premium 3-letters are the next door neighbors, in my opinion.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One other observation.

Three letter .com names seem to consistently sell in the lower hundreds price range. I have not seen a single 3 letter .com go for less than a few hundred dollars - would it be fair to put a wholesale value on any 3-letter of 200-400 bucks?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For .com yes - even on Ebay where the resale prices are almost always low, they go for at least $150 generally.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So $150 wholesale for the lowest tier 3-letter .com - sounds reasonable to me.

Would $1,000 be a reasonable wholesale on a premium 3-letter? I remember seeing JMW.com and RVB.com getting snagged for around $1000 apiece a couple of years ago, and other premiums receiving bids and sales even higher than that.

Just going over all of this to determine 3-letter investment value, and how much I should pay.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Premium combos could go much higher. GregR sold SRE.com recently for $15,000 as I recall.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Premium combos could go much higher. GregR sold SRE.com recently for $15,000 as I recall.

Yeah - but he had to sleep with them too! :eek:

Chumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

My 2 best 3 letter names are pla.com and ihq.com. Pla I place at the very top (due the Los Angeles link and the domain ending in 'a' [associates, association etc] ) - ihq would be valued lower but still very good because of the headquarters 'hq' link.

Names with poor letters I value in the $500 - $1k range - but not sure I would bother purchasing them...

Hope this helps,
Chumby.

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know why this old thread was brought up, but once it is already back :)

I think fff.com belongs to the premium names as well.

Best Regards
Nico

Chumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There must be exceptional range as well. Three letter combos that mean something like;

sex.com, fly.com, fun.com, men.com etc etc

would be at the very high end. Not sure how many of these there are though...interesting to think about, ah!

Chumby

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom