Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Premium domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

owl921

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Please excuse this probably stupid question.

I see these people using the term Premium Domain alot.
What does that actually mean? How can I tell if a domain is premium? What to do if I discover I have one?

Thanks much. I appreciate your answers.

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Premium Domains are domains that is good like fly.com or buy.com
It is like not crappy domains like buy123123123sell.com

Last edited by a moderator:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a selling gimmick, like when you are in the grocery store and see something in the frozen food aisle called "Home Made" or "Home Style".

"Premium" is highly over used (like Albert's example). I see quite often people regerring to XZZYXV.com as a "premium" domain (premium is almost as over used as "category killer").

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's clearly the most abused keyword in domaining :yes:

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would it not help if there were some sort of domaining certification group that could help distinguish between names? Or would this be unpopular because it would affect domainers' chances of picking up something good at low cost?

I, too, feel very confused about what exactly makes a good name. I've seen examples, but they don't seem to translate to other names. I know some of the things that are supposed to make names bad (hyphens, zees instead of esses, info or mobi), but it's less clear why a name is good, unless it's a really obvious well-known dictionary dotcom.

But many of the names I've seen selling or getting good appraisals I personally wouldn't rate, so know I must be missing a dynamic that is clear to more experienced (dare I say real?) domainers. :)

rebirth

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Names like Fly.com or Buy.com are not premiums. They are generics.

Premium domains are two-word popular terms like AuctionHouse.com or DomainName.com, etc. But not junks like WhatCrap.com and all.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All mine are premium ...

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would it not help if there were some sort of domaining certification group that could help distinguish between names? Or would this be unpopular because it would affect domainers' chances of picking up something good at low cost?

A domain being a premium is all 100% a matter of opinion and who needs what.

SeattleCarInsurance.com would not be a premium to a mortgage broker in Boston but it would be a premium to a car insurance dealer in Seattle.

To you, GoodDublinPubs.com might be a premium but I would personally pass on it (well, maybe not but I wouldn't consider it a premium to me).

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Premium is only an abused word.
Premium is an opinion.

There are bad domains and good domains.
For sure generics are good domains :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Please excuse this probably stupid question.

I see these people using the term Premium Domain alot.
What does that actually mean? How can I tell if a domain is premium? What to do if I discover I have one?

Thanks much. I appreciate your answers.

it's not a stupid question, because the term is used by the confused, and to confuse. premium domains don't need to be called premium, they are recognized as Premium by the experienced observer.

It's clearly the most abused keyword in domaining :yes:

yes, i agree

I, too, feel very confused about what exactly makes a good name. I've seen examples, but they don't seem to translate to other names. I know some of the things that are supposed to make names bad (hyphens, zees instead of esses, info or mobi), but it's less clear why a name is good, unless it's a really obvious well-known dictionary dotcom.

But many of the names I've seen selling or getting good appraisals I personally wouldn't rate, so know I must be missing a dynamic that is clear to more experienced (dare I say real?) domainers. :)

why have someone else "certify" your domain or put your whole portfolio in the hands of a few, to judge the value of your domain?

this has been tried before and with money and advertising....it was almost accomplished!

premium domains imo, are those that have the potential to deliver targeted traffic to a website based on the keywords alone.

the other class of premium domains, imo are those that are priced at or above market pricing because of their intrinsic values, such as rarity, age and appeal.

the last class, and many of these in this group hold a temporary premium status, would be those domains that are "priced" at a "premium", because of a rise in demand or land-rush scenerios.
in that description, "premium" is not so much the domain, but relates to the higher price over registration fee's.

a sublevel of premium, which i don't follow or subscribe to is:

when domainers break down letters and numbers of short domains into, which are or are not premium letters or numbers.
you often see titles such as "LLLL.com for sale with 3 premium letters"

this is the result of domainers inability to find relevant terms or usage for each letter in those domains, thus only 3 of the 4 letters get the premium tag.

imo...

D0N

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The word I hate most in domaining - Premium Domain.

snowwhite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A domain being a premium is all 100% a matter of opinion and who needs what.

that pretty much sums it up perfectly <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/2510/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/2510/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why have someone else "certify" your domain or put your whole portfolio in the hands of a few, to judge the value of your domain?

this has been tried before and with money and advertising....it was almost accomplished!

premium domains imo, are those that have the potential to deliver targeted traffic to a website based on the keywords alone.

the other class of premium domains, imo are those that are priced at or above market pricing because of their intrinsic values, such as rarity, age and appeal.

the last class, and many of these in this group hold a temporary premium status, would be those domains that are "priced" at a "premium", because of a rise in demand or land-rush scenerios.
in that description, "premium" is not so much the domain, but relates to the higher price over registration fee's.imo...

Yes, that's all very useful. But the problem is when the criteria aren't as clear-cut as that. Domain appraisal is obviously something that, like most things, improves with experience. But there's also an agenda in calling your domains premium and it's difficult for newbies to know exactly which is genuinely premium between two names that sound very alike.

I wish there were a class one could go to to learn, but the more who learn the harder it is for those who already know to turn a buck, isn't that so? So it's not in the interests of anyone to hold a class.

Most of the advice I've seen is pretty commonsensical but doesn't actually give hard information. I don't think there's any way out in this except to find a development niche.

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Premium Domains are Superior Quality Domains in the SAME Niche.
Its a comparable word of a higher quality domain to a lower quality one within the same niche. For example MDPO vs XQWR OR No.org vs GX.org etc

How the word is used in domaining is another subject altogether

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Names like Fly.com or Buy.com are not premiums. They are generics.

Premium domains are two-word popular terms like AuctionHouse.com or DomainName.com, etc.

All of these names mentioned would be 'premium', 'generic', and 'keywords'. This all refers to domains common that are truly common words or short phrases. Names and terms legitimately called this would likely be taken in pretty much all common extensions and the they would be searched for and used significantly as domains too. That said this is a highly overused term just like the plain car that has 'Sport' written on the side of it just to make sure that you know that it really is 'sporty' as you might never guess that otherwise!. Most 'premium' and 'keyword' names listed here on DNF are not that at all other than in the mind of the current proud owner hawking his latest (and very valuable!) catch!

I also love the terms 'unique' and 'rare' with regards to domains as all domains are both! Desirable or not, all domains are necessarily both 'unique' and 'rare' or the domain name system simply wouldn't function!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom