Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Premium .eu domains... How did he do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

krooga

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was looking thru my .eu domains which I won and I was surprised to see so many good domains owned by one person...

money.eu internet.eu loans.eu loan.eu law.eu stocks.eu insurance.eu finance.eu trade.eu cars.eu mortgage.eu tax.eu books.eu computers.eu lawyer.eu security.eu help.eu women.eu poker.eu privacy.eu radio.eu

How did he do it ????

All owed by:

Company: Drake Ventures Limited
Name: David Kenny

Some more i've found

ski.eu
telephone.eu

Domain Days 2024

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
krooga said:
I was looking thru my .eu domains which I won and I was surprised to see so many good domains owned by one person...

money.eu internet.eu loans.eu loan.eu law.eu stocks.eu insurance.eu finance.eu trade.eu cars.eu mortgage.eu tax.eu books.eu computers.eu lawyer.eu security.eu help.eu women.eu poker.eu privacy.eu radio.eu

How did he do it ????

All owed by:

Company: Drake Ventures Limited
Name: David Kenny
All they had to do was register a trademark for those generic terms (didn't even need a product) and reg them in the sunrise. For example Money.eu was registered on 13 March 2006

It wasn't illegal, but a lot of people feel that it was underhanded. The registry didn't care as long as they were making the mulla as it were.

krooga

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
All they had to do was register a trademark for those generic terms (didn't even need a product) and reg them in the sunrise. For example Money.eu was registered on 13 March 2006

It wasn't illegal, but a lot of people feel that it was underhanded. The registry didn't care as long as they were making the mulla as it were.

What a lucky bastard he is...

teamwork

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not a lucky one. They just found the workaround.
Shame or not, they did their job. It;s not the only one though. Many others did exactly the same.The one to blame (if you can ) is the Benelux TM office which was registering TMs in 1 (ONE) day. That was the secret.
ANd EURid did their job by followng the rules they setup. Nothing wrong here.
All the rest is philosophy.

daveb1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
money always goes to money... transactions like this are a nobrainer if you already have the money to cheat the system... most of those domains will probably be in the $$$$ to $$$$$ or maybe even higher. He'll probably retire now on the money he'll make from those few domains.

It's too late now, but what they should have done is set a cut off for trademarks. That would have made it a much fairer fight for us poor people.

Dave

teamwork

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There should be a cut off as it's said. Eurid gave an explanation of why they didn't do it. But anyway.

Some guys spent 1k for each TM and expecting a return of *10 or *100
We spend 20 Euros for a similar return I think in the worst case.
So you spend 1k and you wish you could have 10k or 100k potential future value.

these guys spent 100k to 1m (yes you read right) to have 10m to 100 m Euros future potential value.
I believe it's a matter of size which in our case is clearly who has the money.

kind regards
John

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:

They explained the logic behind it:

"...EURid cannot comment on the effectiveness of the trademark laws and the work of the trademark offices in Europe, nor can we remark on the EC regulation which the member states had the opportunity to comment on.

Therefore, if someone first in line for a domain name can present sufficient documentation proving that they have a prior right for that name, for instance a trademark or a company name, the name will be granted to them.

It has been suggested that the Sunrise rules should have included a cut off date so that trademarks, for instance, needed to be registered before a certain date to be a valid prior right for a Sunrise application. During the preparatory work, extensive consultations between EURid, the validation agent for the phased registration period (PricewaterhouseCoopers, PwC), and the intellectual property community took place, in which all aspects of the sunrise rules were discussed, including the implementation of a “registration cut off date” for accepting registered trademarks.

A large majority did not want to accept such a limitation, not only because there is no support for it in the PPR (Public Policy Rules,) but also because it would disadvantage new companies or new initiatives within existing companies. That this would allow some people to register “popular” or “generic” names was considered a minor problem since the requested domain names would still need to be protected by an intellectual property right and the main objective of the Sunrise period i.e. to protect those with a prior right, would certainly be achieved..."

http://www.eurid.eu/en/general/news/eurid-comments-on-the-issue-of-generic-domain-names

teamwork said:
There should be a cut off as it's said. Eurid gave an explanation of why they didn't do it. But anyway.

Some guys spent 1k for each TM and expecting a return of *10 or *100
We spend 20 Euros for a similar return I think in the worst case.
So you spend 1k and you wish you could have 10k or 100k potential future value.

these guys spent 100k to 1m (yes you read right) to have 10m to 100 m Euros future potential value.
I believe it's a matter of size which in our case is clearly who has the money.

kind regards
John

^This post is right on target. Very much agree with this^

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I remember the hype on the indian tlds and that fell flat on its butt, i fear the same with .eu as well.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:
I remember the hype on the indian tlds and that fell flat on its butt, i fear the same with .eu as well.

Maybe but poker.eu already has 76 bids at Sedo.com and nearly one million domains have been registered since yesterday!!

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:

Yes of course, economies, technological progress and buying powers of the two markets are the "same", aren't they.

I remember when Euro money first came to the scene, Americans were saying it will never surprass the strength of Dollar...

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
all the .eu's are gonna be owned by resellers, it still a guess as to whether .eu's will take off or not

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I aint american and 76 bids mean nothing if they are low bids trust me ive had many more offers on domains.
Who said the economies are the same ? youre talkin rot again, if they are all taken by resellers the market will not take off simple as that and im tellin you straight !

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:
Who said the economies are the same ? youre talkin rot again,....

Me thinks sasquatch was being sarcastic using the form of a rhetorical question: "Yes of course, economies, technological progress and buying powers of the two markets are the "same", aren't they." In other words he tried to make you see his argument from a different perspective. That, in fact, the India market is nothing at all like the EU market!

...if they are all taken by resellers the market will not take off simple as that and im tellin you straight !

You might be right: "Sedo.com, the world’s largest domain marketplace, predicts that fifty percent of the .eu domains registered during the landrush will be available for resale."

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Drake Ventures Limited is a company set by the Pool guys, more exacly momentous.ca, who owns them.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gdubz said:
all the .eu's are gonna be owned by resellers, it still a guess as to whether .eu's will take off or not
Makes me think of the (South) Florida real estate market.

Drake Ventures Limited is a company set by the Pool guys, more exacly momentous.ca, who owns them.
What a surprise.

What evidence is there of this?

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simple. Look at the companies they own.
www.momentous.ca
Of the Momentous businesses, Pool.com is the most profitable, although Hall says that Zip.ca is catching up. The Momentous companies generate revenues of more than $30 million U.S. a year, and are entirely financed by profits.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Web Identity said:
Me thinks sasquatch was being sarcastic using the form of a rhetorical question: "Yes of course, economies, technological progress and buying powers of the two markets are the "same", aren't they." In other words he tried to make you see his argument from a different perspective. That, in fact, the India market is nothing at all like the EU market!

I know thats why came back with the same sarcastic comment typic sasquatch wants to pick a fight no worries im always here !

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always miss the boat on new tlds. If I had known about the Benelux TM office, I'd have jumped on board.

krooga

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fearless said:
I always miss the boat on new tlds. If I had known about the Benelux TM office, I'd have jumped on board.

Same here...
Or I would have opened 100 british companies, only 20 quid for a company...

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but complaints about .eu pre-registrations, especially with GoDaddy. I'm glad that I see no value in the .eu extension. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom