Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Preregister .HIV at Sedo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo and others will be pre-registering the crap out of new extensions. Whomever you choose as a pre-registration source, just be sure that your money will be refunded in the event your registration fails.

And I agree with Acro on the merits of this extension.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
remember to always use protection with sedo :smilewinkgrin:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd rather personally give my money to a .HIV orphanage (and have) before the fatcats touch it, that's why I hate. U .NI.SE.F Commercials. Both of these play on your emotions that it's the right thing to do, but actually how much per dollar goes to the research of .HIV/kids?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's the point of this TLD other than for someone to make a lot of money?
I agree. Even if it is to attract research, grants, treatments, etc, there are plenty of alternatives out there. Plus, those that have been in the HIV public arena for a while will already have a site.

I don't see this as being too popular in the long run. I would think that major drug companies and breakthrough medicine would have their own sites or could even start their own url based on their brand name (novartis, pfizer, merck. etc)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless the registry owner has some serious long term plans I don't expect to see this TLD doing well at all and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose a lot of money right off the bat with registrations. I also cannot see how this can be profitable in the long run (heck, even the short run).

The only way I see this TLD making money for the registry is if the owner has some serious developmental plans on a huge scale - larger than anything we've ever seen - or they're some huge time HIV advocate who is trying to raise money and awareness for the disease (but then again, wouldn't a yearly donation as large as the fees to run your own registry have more of an effect)?

Or am I missing something?

edit:

I do see they'll offer .hiv domains to a charitable organization for free (but when you try to register it you get a 404) - what if domainer A wants (domain).hiv and a charitable organization also wants it - say it is something that would be considered a premium .hiv domain - like cure.hiv - who will get it?

I don't see a mention of price, too.

United domains is reporting about 3,200 pre-registrations.

http://www.uniteddomains.com/new-top-level-domain/hiv-domain-registration/

But - everyone is saying they're free - so is that to pre-register and you pay later?

Edit #2:

Reg fee is about $150 a year:

http://www.dothiv.org/dothiv/donation-allocation/

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MagicJohnson .Com will now redirect to MagicJohnson .HIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom