Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Pretty Good from Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
Yeah, poor M$!

I've heard others mention this? Does M$ offer the same thing?

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"for Internet Explorer"
"only available for Windows XP"

poor MS? how so? You still need their products to run ALL of these programs, so how bad can it be?

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is just the beginning. Google's ecosystem is taking shape and will end when they launch the web-based Google OS. Only counter measure of MS seems to be an open source Windows. Oh, and how I hate to register for a MS passport when I need to look at some new MS product... everytime I register a new passport account and forget about it... Google's approach is much more honest and I use my Google account with pleasure!

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
This is just the beginning. Google's ecosystem is taking shape and will end when they launch the web-based Google OS. Only counter measure of MS seems to be an open source Windows. Oh, and how I hate to register for a MS passport when I need to look at some new MS product... everytime I register a new passport account and forget about it... Google's approach is much more honest and I use my Google account with pleasure!

yeah. sure. lets all dive into the "free" world of google.

nothing is free man. you'll be paying for these great features with your privacy.

the millions of businesses & corporations world wide won't be so quick to trust a web based OS provided "free" but with certain privacy issues. I don't see the government jumping into the free OS world (considering the fact that many government institutions already have parts of Windows source code).

third world countries may use some free OS, but the open source Linux already does just fine. Also, Microsoft is providing huge discounts on the Windows Operating sytem in those countries as well.

Honestly, I like google and I own their stock. HOWEVER, I think they are jumping on everything at once and they'll probably fail at many of these things. There is still a lot of room for improvement, especially with their PPC system (for advertisers). I have seen MSNs beta PPC program and it is far superior to googles.

Just my 2 cents.

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just think what happens when Google puts all their competitors out... they cannot offer their services for free anymore because there will be no income.

Shark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, i believe its not that easy.. building an OS, no easy task.. a web based OS that can compromise your privacy could be dangerous as well. We have heard in the past where hackers used google to find passwords & credit card numbers. A web based OS, that takes your info right into their hands..!!

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Luc said:
...you'll be paying for these great features with your privacy..
I am already paying with my privacy using Windows... on top of that, MS wants me pay license fee for using their OS?!

Luc said:
...the millions of businesses & corporations world wide won't be so quick to trust a web based OS provided "free" but with certain privacy issues. I don't see the government jumping into the free OS world (considering the fact that many government institutions already have parts of Windows source code).
Everything MS have done for their customers during last decade was because of competition pressure. Every single product was in fact a copy. They were always lagging behind in all the innovations in sector. This is not just a bad management! It was deliberately done to preserve the status quo and slow the progress.

Luc said:
...Honestly, I like google and I own their stock.
My strategy is buy GOOG and sell MSFT...

Luc said:
...I have seen MSNs beta PPC program and it is far superior to googles.
Well, all scammers whose adsense accounts were canceled because of fraudulent clicks will jump on YPN and MS PPC when they go live. The only thing that makes real difference is how would they deal with click fraud... I don't see how would they better filter out fraudulent clicks? Google is and will be the leader in the field.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
I am already paying with my privacy using Windows... on top of that, MS wants me pay license fee for using their OS?!...

Like I said before. Nothing is free. If you think you'll get a free OS that's better than Windows, sorry to say, but you are a fool. Windows has many security flaws, that's a fact, most are addressed quite fast, but the vast array of software available for Windows will take any OS a long time to catch up.

Linux is a great open source free operating system. Much more secure than Windows. Current release is a snap to install. Why isn't everyone jumping on it? Not because it's not peddled by Google but because all software currently runs on Windows. Plus, people with half a brain generally don’t trust anything that’s free, because it never is free.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Luc said:
Like I said before. Nothing is free. If you think you'll get a free OS that's better than Windows, sorry to say, but you are a fool...
That was pretty interesting indeed and a very convincing argument! Sounds like coming from Redmond. :)

My observation though is that even Mr Gates is not such a staunch supporter of Windows like you. Quite on the contrary, MS is positioning to follow Google concept for a web-based OS and the corresponding web-based services - www.live.com and safety.live.com!

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
That was pretty interesting indeed and a very convincing argument! Sounds like coming from Redmond. :)

My observation though is that even Mr Gates is not such a staunch supporter of Windows like you. Quite on the contrary, MS is positioning to follow Google concept for a web-based OS and the corresponding web-based services - www.live.com and safety.live.com!

While I like the idea of a web based OS, I do not think it will be as big of a success as the current desktop based OS' (at least for the next 5-10 years), here's why:

Certain applications would require an immense amount of bandwidth to properly work over a web based OS, ex Graphics applications, video editing applications, GAMES, etc. It would be inefficient to use a web based OS to say, play a video game because the amount of data that would be transferred over the network would be measured in gigabytes per second, not kilobytes like it is now. Not many ISPs are willing to give their subscribers this type of bandwidth.

Schools & government institutions however may benefit from such an OS, though I doubt the government would trust anything that's free.

As the PC makes its way into our living room, I somewhat doubt that we'll be able to record live streams of our favorite shows on some remote server.

While the web based OS may be ideal for some users, third world countries, or poor areas, I doubt that it will be the standard for at least 5-10 years and for some applications it will never replace a PC.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Certainly, someone has to pay for every free service, but that will not be consumer or end user. That will be the advertiser! Google's business model is based on that concept and it proved to be a big success. What they will have to do is just continue on that way and expand further, what they are actually doing, while MS have to entirely change the structure of their revenue stream. And that is a big challenge, including organizational issues.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing is, they're trying to do EVERYTHING. That's what worries me. As their stock holder and the user of their AdWords program I'd be much happier if they focused on improving what they have, before moving onto areas that they have completely no experience in.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Luc said:
The thing is, they're trying to do EVERYTHING. That's what worries me...
No, they don't. They are smart... If that is something to worry about, Yahoo shareholders should be much more worried, because Yahoo REALLY ARE doing everything and nothing is the way it should be, including such crowded space as domain registration, web hosting, ecommerce solutions etc...

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can say what You want, but MS and Bill Gates are the best salesman`s in the world

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
You can say what You want, but MS and Bill Gates are the best salesman`s in the world
Sure, the name of the game is "Monopoly". But it is coming to an end. Fast...

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
Sure, the name of the game is "Monopoly". But it is coming to an end. Fast...

dream on

Monopoly - for sure
But noone forbid You or any other to buy dos for $100k, and started selling it to IBM and other big companys. That time all had fair change, but the best salesman won.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You really have to respect microsoft, Afterall we could only dream about how successful they have bean, but with a generation thats becoming more and more computer savvy, Microsoft really do have something to worry about.

I was 13 years old when I first tried Linux and I really like it, I do say after learning there are free and more reliable alternatives, Why pay $200 for a unreliable piece of software when you can get a great piece which does what I need for free. Aswell as purchasing microsoft windows, You actually have no rights to it, You are purchasing a licence to use it, with linux you actually have the right to do what the heck you like it.

As for Microsoft Office, Many people are switching to great alternatives such as OpenOffice.

Hotmail - Microsoft were giving 2MB, GMail which I have to say is the best web-based email I have used, Offered 1GB, Google are a laid back company and always like to entertain their users, Email coming out on April Fools? What an great idea.

Just you wait, nobody will have privacy, Sure you will have a right to it, but using anything you will be signing it away, Wether its to google or by a company stealing it via spyware, Its going to happen, Get used to it, We are moving to computers, Its only a matter of time before your watching your PC as your main TV.

There must be thousands of people daily buying a computer, setting up a network, Wanting to setup a website and wanting to feed their mind knowledge, A lot of these people will one way or another will learn about linux, What happens when most of the general public are computer savvy? Microsoft wont like it, You may think its a long time away but just look how fast computers have evolved, Im amazed at the speed.

PS. Anyone seen Ubuntu are offering Free CD's, Just order online, No shipping costs :)

PSS. Duhhh Bill Gates doesnt even look like a geek, He has bottles of water :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom