Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Prevent Paypal Scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First off everyone uses paypal but it has alot of safety features missing.

Ways to get scammed:
~People Pay with credit card then charge back making you loose money.
-Prevention: Ask them to wait few days before sending goods so if they do charge back don't send them the goods at all. Also use escrow for large amounts of cash.
~People steal other accounts pay you then you realized the funds isn't there anymore because they paid with a stolen account or credit card.
-Prevention: Same as above. Wait few days or maybe using escrow.

Protecting your paypal account.
Try not to use gmail accounts or hotmail or yahoo accounts for your paypal email. People easily hack into and hack into your paypal account.

Get scammed? Paypal doesn't protect you from intangiable goods like domain etc.

The best way to win a paypal dispute is actually providing alot of evidence or calling them up. They will end the dispute faster if you actually call them up and talk with them. Also most dispute takes at least 1 week or 2 to end.

Thats all I know for now. I will update threads and feel free to pm me to add to this thread.

Last edited:

GAMEMAN

Honored Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First off everyone uses paypal but it has alot of safety features missing.

Ways to get scammed:
~People Pay with credit card then charge back making you loose money.
-Prevention: Ask them to wait few days before sending goods so if they do charge back don't send them the goods at all. Also use escrow for large amounts of cash.
~People steal other accounts pay you then you realized the funds isn't there anymore because they paid with a stolen account or credit card.
-Prevention: Same as above. Wait few days or maybe using escrow.

Protecting your paypal account.
Try not to use gmail accounts or hotmail or yahoo accounts for your paypal email. People easily hack into and hack into your paypal account.

Thats all I know for now. I will update threads and feel free to pm me to add to this thread.

I lose more money whit this S..t Paypal .

Thank you for your Thread . ;)

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if your even mildly serious about domaining spend the few bucks on escrow...moniker is a great one.

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had that happen a few years ago. It was apparently sent from a stolen account and the owner then did a chargeback - over a month later.
That would suck :(
I lose more money whit this S..t Paypal .

Thank you for your Thread . ;)

No problem.
I updated a little thing on the thread.

sweetboa

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the key is you should check the member's reputation.

Paypal is a easy and low fee way to do online business.

blogcrash

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Or use Escrow for some kind of deals.

And google buyer's email address.
It's interesting... the things we can find using google to research about the buyer using his email address before making the deal.

Things like different details (location for example) in domain's whois and user details in domain forums like this one, for example.

Sometimes Member's Reputation don't say nothing at all.
I can buy 100 stupid names for $2/ 3/4/5 dollars and build a solid reputation in just 2/3 months.... and them... whe know what a user like that can do using the reputation.

iTrade is important. But no the most important.

Unless you are dealing with an old member, with good reputation, and without any problem to use Escrow/ moneybrookers/ sedo escrow....

Sell Careful!

Just my 2 cents!

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mauro.
Too many members (in this thread also) want deal with PayPal only.

But I'm not a newbie so if you want buy names from me we USE ESCROW or you can run.

PayPal for deals of multiple domains is for suckers.

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

People build up their reputation....cheap sales. Also some people might get desperate and get their account banned for a few k.
I agree with Mauro.
Too many members (in this thread also) want deal with PayPal only.

But I'm not a newbie so if you want buy names from me we USE ESCROW or you can run.

PayPal for deals of multiple domains is for suckers.
If you think a deal is too good to be true.....try to do all the safety precaution.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a chargeback can be done even a month after the payment
Here is something else about PayPal.

They control the credit card companies and pretty much dictate the terms.

Brian bought something on eBay. Item sent was not what he ordered. Seller refused to refund. He filed action with PayPal. PayPal refused to investigate. He filed with Chase. Chase credited his account. A month later, the charge from PayPal was back on his statement. Called Chase. Was told there was nothing Chase could do. Chase offered to settle for half of charges. Brian agreed and then canceled his Chase card.

Problem is, it was not Chase but agreement in terms with Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Those card issuers have to abide by PayPal's terms. It is to their benefit. What do you think the impact to that provider would be if PayPal stopped taking a particular card? Enormous!

Being mindful of the risks of any transaction with PayPal, whether buying or selling, is the best thing to do.

As for stolen Credit Cards or highjacked PayPal accounts, this happens quite a bit. Fortunately, the only time this has every happened to me was before I shipped an item and PayPal alerted me. Thankfully, it was a $1,600.00 piece of pottery. Anyone want to buy a 1930's Jugtown Chinese Blue Han Flared Bowl?

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is something else about PayPal.

They control the credit card companies and pretty much dictate the terms.

Brian bought something on eBay. Item sent was not what he ordered. Seller refused to refund. He filed action with PayPal. PayPal refused to investigate. He filed with Chase. Chase credited his account. A month later, the charge from PayPal was back on his statement. Called Chase. Was told there was nothing Chase could do. Chase offered to settle for half of charges. Brian agreed and then canceled his Chase card.

Problem is, it was not Chase but agreement in terms with Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Those card issuers have to abide by PayPal's terms. It is to their benefit. What do you think the impact to that provider would be if PayPal stopped taking a particular card? Enormous!

Being mindful of the risks of any transaction with PayPal, whether buying or selling, is the best thing to do.

As for stolen Credit Cards or highjacked PayPal accounts, this happens quite a bit. Fortunately, the only time this has every happened to me was before I shipped an item and PayPal alerted me. Thankfully, it was a $1,600.00 piece of pottery. Anyone want to buy a 1930's Jugtown Chinese Blue Han Flared Bowl?
There was this idiot trying to sell me like hundreds of stolen paypal.

sweetboa

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or use Escrow for some kind of deals.

And google buyer's email address.
It's interesting... the things we can find using google to research about the buyer using his email address before making the deal.

Things like different details (location for example) in domain's whois and user details in domain forums like this one, for example.

Sometimes Member's Reputation don't say nothing at all.
I can buy 100 stupid names for $2/ 3/4/5 dollars and build a solid reputation in just 2/3 months.... and them... whe know what a user like that can do using the reputation.

iTrade is important. But no the most important.

Unless you are dealing with an old member, with good reputation, and without any problem to use Escrow/ moneybrookers/ sedo escrow....

Sell Careful!

Just my 2 cents!

if using paypal.

You can make some agreement with the buyer.

For Example,

The buyer send the funds through paypal first and then seller withdraw funds to his bank account.After this transation done,then you push the names.

Will that be any problem? I don't think so.

Google the email address of buyer doesn't mean anything.I always use an USA based vcc(virtual visa card) to buy online products.That's personal privacy opinion.

And if you think the buyer is a scammer,i do prefer you don't accept his any offers and any payment methods. It's easy to buy hacked bank account and send wire payment to Escrow.

Reputation and member's posts are the key. not the payment method.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a chargeback can be done even a month after the payment

Actually you can be burned up to a YEAR later.

This is not a PayPal issue, it's a credit card issue. The only way to completely avoid it is to refuse to accept credit cards... and say goodbye to about 75% of your customers.

BTW, Escrow does not save you from this, all of the agreements I've seen still leave the seller without funds in case of a chargeback.

blogcrash

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The buyer send the funds through paypal first and then seller withdraw funds to his bank account.After this transation done,then you push the names.

eheheh

The problem is that in a chargeback case, Paypal goes to your bank account and grab the funds.
Oh! You didn't know that!!!

Google the email address of buyer doesn't mean anything. I always use an USA based vcc(virtual visa card) to buy online products.That's personal privacy opinion.

Ohhh...
I wasn't talking about you!!! eheheh
But that's funny how fast you were giving your own example.

But, if you want to talk about you as an example...
Maybe you want also to explain why I'm still waiting for your escrow payment after 14 days.
Why you sent me emails and pm's always asking to use only paypal (not escrow or moneybrokers).
Even after the escrow started! Telling that your bank account can not be used in escrow because his name is to big :?:

Paypal for 80 domains in bulk? lol

And if you think the buyer is a scammer,i do prefer you don't accept his any offers and any payment methods. It's easy to buy hacked bank account and send wire payment to Escrow.

Reputation and member's posts are the key. not the payment method

I didn't accepted! Do you remember?

I said Escrow!
And i'm still waiting because you don't make the payment.

Of course, during all this time i lost some deals with the domains involved

Because i'm a man of word and i'll not sell any of the domains involved in our case until you pay or cancel the transaction.

Once again, just my 2 cents...

Regards

sweetboa

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
'The buyer send the funds through paypal first and then seller withdraw funds to his bank account.After this transation done,then you push the names.'

Is there any difference with Escrow?

The seller risk free.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
'The buyer send the funds through paypal first and then seller withdraw funds to his bank account.After this transation done,then you push the names.'

Is there any difference with Escrow?

The seller risk free.

All of the escrow companies require in the account setup agreement that they are ALLOWED to recover those funds from your escrow account. If you close the account or withdrawl funds so the reversal can't be completed, they come after you in court AND can trash your your credit record.

No escrow company is going to just eat the loss on a fraudulant domain transaction.

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never used escrow before. I been scammed several times. Is it legal for me to signup for escrow if I'm not 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom