Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Previous Owner Wants the Domain Back...What Should I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjaguar13

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I registered a domain in January. Today I get an email from the previous owner and they want the domain back. The domain isn't that great. It's been a big disappointment and the person who contacted me definitely isn't from America. I think that even if the domain would pick up traffic wise, it still wouldn't be worth that much. I know DCG says $1,000, but I don't know if these people have that much. Also, what do I say, something like "I had plans for it, but I would let it go for $1,000"?

Domain Days 2024

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ive sold back dropped domains to about 5 people so far, all were pretty crappy though. I sold them back for between $50-$150

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell them whatever you would like. If the domain only cost you a few dollars even $500 is some nice profit, especially if it's not making any money.

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
droplister said:
ive sold back dropped domains to about 5 people so far, all were pretty crappy though. I sold them back for between $50-$150

I too have had the same luck. :faint:

if the previous owner isn't some schmuk "demanding" :director: it back... 100 - 150 is reasonable.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Get as much as you can.. If they contacted you to get the domain back, test your luck..

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Look at the niche of the domain and ask for 1.5-2 times of what it is worth to you.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sell to those people for 10 years revenue but at least $100

pkguy

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go for $250. It is a nice sum.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:
look on archive.org and see what the site was. if it was business orientated they must have $1K'ish or if it was a pesonal site you would be lucky for $100

his is sound advice... be careful though if you paid $60 for it at pool, $100 is not that great.

I have sold many, many names that drop back to owners, most have no traffic but it's their branding. I charge a minimum of $500.

If they need it for their business cause some idiot forgot to renew it that works for them, which is usually the case, they walk away but usually come back and pay your ransom, if not they lose all their branding and that is worth alot more than $500.

-=DCG=-

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a similiar case of small German town with a populatoin of around 4,000 (actually I think several small towns have the same name).

The previous owner, _allegedly_ the mayor/town hall wants it back. I said price was $600 but could give a discount. It looks like they are prepared to pay a maximum of around $100 to $125.

I wouldn't normally go this low, but am considering it on this particular occasion.

They have the .de and .net. My .com gets little traffic - around 15 raws a month, and no income, so I reckon, that probably a very modest, but quick profit will work ok for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom