Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Price difference between example.com and example.co.uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello guys/gals,

What would be the general price difference (%) between example/com and example/co.uk?

zmonster

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The difference can be vast but the price would depend upon whom the end user's customers are... a UK business might find all it needs in a .co.uk and shouldn't spend the extra money on a .com. But if the end user wants to be seen outside the UK, especially if the traffic he wants to reach is in the U.S. then the .co.uk extension is usually ineffective.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is impossible to answer without knowing the actual domain name and the market in the UK that relates to that market.

If it is a brandable and motivated enduser...the price could be similar.

zmonster

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe that wasn't said right, but what I mean is -- the greater need the end user has for Western hemisphere customers, the greater the price of the .com. Generally.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My guts tell me the com is ten times the .uk,.. or, the dot.uk is one tenth the com.

The only upward bias is the strength of thedomain in the .uk being in the UK market,.. opposed to the dot com universally.

2c

craiglandy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As an owner, primarily of '.com' (and owner of theUK.com and theUnitedKingdom.com) I'm inclined to greatly favor the .com especially compared to a domain with a 3rd level domain like '.co.uk. However, when I talk to people in the UK... there seems to be an almost an equal use and value of .com and .co.uk for large companies (when marketing WITHIN the UK). For a British global brand marketing outside of the UK, they definitely ALSO need the '.com'

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is impossible to answer without knowing the actual domain name and the market in the UK that relates to that market.

If it is a brandable and motivated enduser...the price could be similar.

What I had in mind was brandables, but I was looking for feedback on various scenarios, hence I did not state a specific domain name. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful!

Maybe that wasn't said right, but what I mean is -- the greater need the end user has for Western hemisphere customers, the greater the price of the .com. Generally.

I knew what you meant zmonster, that's just the way the world has been introduced to the .com. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful!

My guts tell me the com is ten times the .uk,.. or, the dot.uk is one tenth the com.

The only upward bias is the strength of thedomain in the .uk being in the UK market,.. opposed to the dot com universally.

2c

Hey Mark, I'm sure I read somewhere that the .net was 1/10 the value of the .com and so was wondering where the .co.uk fitted into this league. Infact, if I understand it, the .co.uk could be more valuable than the .com if for the UK market. I have included a link to a report below which is very interesting regarding the .co.uk and it's popularity. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful!

As an owner, primarily of '.com' (and owner of theUK.com and theUnitedKingdom.com) I'm inclined to greatly favor the .com especially compared to a domain with a 3rd level domain like '.co.uk. However, when I talk to people in the UK... there seems to be an almost an equal use and value of .com and .co.uk for large companies (when marketing WITHIN the UK). For a British global brand marketing outside of the UK, they definitely ALSO need the '.com'

Very interesting reply which motivated me to find out more about the popularity of the .co.uk in the UK. This link to nominet.org.uk (PDF 3.6 MB) has a very interesting report on the popularity of the .co.uk (section 5). Thanks for your input, it's been helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom