Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Pricing changes on domains being sold by BuyDomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mid 2005 I bought a .com for an outrageous amount through SEDO.

The .NET was listed relatively cheap at Buydomains ($488) so I figured I'd pick it up after securing the .COM.

Transaction goes through, I get the .COM at my registar and a couple days later I go to buy the .NET from BuyDomains... only to find the price has been cleared.

Their pricing seems to change quite often. I'm wondering if I should wait for a price to reappear or should I call them and offer the old listing price?

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had a deal with BuyDomains where the price was agreed on and acknowledged as done by both sides. When I went to have the name delivered, they said they decided to reappraise the name. They then doubled the price, claiming that it was the owner, not them, changing the price and they were just the broker for the name. After over a year, the whois still shows BuyDomains and they send me an email asking if I was still interested in the name at 50% off. It wasn't too long of a name, so they shouldn't have any trouble at all shoving it up where the sun don't shine.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
I've had a deal with BuyDomains where the price was agreed on and acknowledged as done by both sides. When I went to have the name delivered, they said they decided to reappraise the name. They then doubled the price, claiming that it was the owner, not them, changing the price and they were just the broker for the name. After over a year, the whois still shows BuyDomains and they send me an email asking if I was still interested in the name at 50% off. It wasn't too long of a name, so they shouldn't have any trouble at all shoving it up where the sun don't shine.

Funny you mention that.

I've never dealt with them directly but I DID get into a bidding war with them at namewinner at the end of 2002. They won the name obviously and then listed it for $16k. Then some idiot sent them a low ball offer so they increased it to $32k. There is no price on that particular name right now.

They just seem to double their prices as soon as someone shows interest in a name, so I am reluctant to show interest.

Now I'm thinking a TM registration would be cheaper... not to reverse namejack but just in case someone does buy the name off them and sets up a competing site.

Their price was on that name for about 10 months, so I find it odd the price got pulled within a few days of me buying the .COM through SEDO. :bandit:

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BD is really not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. You might try Afternic and the name may be listed there at their BIN price.

YL-TRADER

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they doubled a name on me also!! 3500 to 7k!!! They knew I was going to buy it...but, I have never gone back....too bad, because I buy a LOT

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ I agree. BD has definitly had some bad business practices in the past, but they seem pretty legitimite now.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a note, BuyDomains is currently repricing a lot of their one word / two word .COMs to an even $50k per name, and hoping for fewer large sales rather than a greater number of sales at closer-to-realistic prices.

Also, bargaining with them can be risky. It's worth a shot but just realize that sometimes the price will go down just a little at best, or else way up. I've had ones where I've gotten almost 1/3 of the price off, and others that increased in price by 10X the originally listed price just by asking.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Face it people, domains are getting up up up! It's pretty much "hold" right now; sell in 6 months or later. Prices for keyword domains will double by the end of the year.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You mean receipt of an offer is not a good enough reason to cite increased activity and double your price????

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rocket2Uranus said:
You mean receipt of an offer is not a good enough reason to cite increased activity and double your price????
Funny. The problem I had was that they doubled the price "AFTER" a deal was agreed on. I guess when you're as big as BFD you can ignore your promise to sell and reappraise.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
At least you guy got responses. I inquired on **FOUR** occasions and **NEVER** received a reply.

Geesh.

-Bob

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't really like BD with there prices, and double the money when you contact them.
I do it differently because i don't have a price tag on my names, so when someone offer me a price i double it and send it back (if it's a reasonable offer). It has worked on one name so far.

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most bargain sales occur due to ; 1- owners needing urgent funds and offloading the names for less then what they are worth, 2- Owners not realizing the full potential of their names or their price ranges. These guys have a lot of money, a lot of time and experience to boot so I dont' think it would be possible to get the better side of the deal with them.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Will they ever negotiate? For example, I requested a price.. and they just got back to me. Can I offer them less and would they consider it?

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Will they ever negotiate? For example, I requested a price.. and they just got back to me. Can I offer them less and would they consider it?

depends if the domain value seems "fair" to you or not.. from my experience they don't negotiate given they have the "upper" hand in negotiations since you inquired about the domain..

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
I doubt they would consider less, if they have a fixed price. Once you have a price agreed on, and what you think is a done deal (because they said so) they may just decide to ignore the agreement and double the price again. I swear with these guys, that even after you've paid the money and have the name, someway they will do something to take it back, double the price, and send you another bill.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should flood them with "interest" on domains. :) Let them start doubling up a bunch of their crap. :)

just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom