Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Private registration for a .US domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All , Can .us domains be registered privately ? Someone was saying you cant reg a .US private is this correct.

Thanks in advance.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They're right, you can't add private reg to any ccTLD in most cases, and .US is the 2nd level ccTLD for the US, I've never seen a registrar that permits it

.CO was weird, when introduced as the new Colombian ccTLD (at the 2nd level) in 2010 you could have privacy with Go Daddy but not with others. Then even GD didn't allow it. But then .CO became a gTLD for all intents and purposes and privacy was again allowed, but it depends on the registrar, it shouldn't but that's the way it is

.MX was another good example, Go Daddy would let you add privacy at the beginning even if it was a ccTLD, and it has stayed a ccTLD. But then GD started not allowing privacy for .MX either, so now no one does

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Answer: no.
In the past sketchy whois records used to be tolerated but not anymore.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/ntia_nixes_privacy_protection_in_whois
The problem is that some .us domains with iffy registrant data still exist. Even if whois privacy is not permitted, some domains I've looked at have false whois data. And more importantly if you don't meet the Nexus criteria for .us registrations, there is a possibility that the domain registration can be revoked. (I think that there were a few high profile domains won at auction that were revoked for this reason.)

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom