Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Private WHOIS?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This topic keeps coming back every once in a while, so I'd like to take this opportunity to bring it back myself :cool:

Do you use Private whois?
What is your experience with it?
I use to use it very frequently in the past, but now I just divide the domains into different companies that I own with their own registrant info.
While it does offer some competitive edges (to use Private whois), the lack of communication from a potential buyer is too large to miss.
I don't want my competition to know how many domains I own in a certain category

Domain summit 2024

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Private whois has its place, but I think it is best used by a small niche. Any business that uses it kind of screams out scam to me, however, others may feel differently. Bottom line, using a PO Box makes more sense to me for privacy and cost reasons. As to not having folks know which domains you hold, I'm not sure that really matters. Since I may well be missing something enormous, why do you think it matters?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is an example.
I own and developed a high traffic blog under my company name. I want to promote a product(s) I am selling that is on another site, and in order to attract advertisers (multiple income sources) I don't want the audience to know that I am promoting my own site so I have the second site's whois show a different company I own.
That's just a small example.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is another example that applies not only to married people...
So you are going through a divorce settlement and your wife wants half of your domains.
Either going "dark" by private whois or by spreading the domains into 3 or 4 companies, the greedy soon to be x-wife wont know what domains you have

durdom

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use privacy whois for specific domains only where i don't want to be bothered i also offer it to clients who want to keep their domain info private have come across quite a bit in the gaming industry who like to swat people ( swat means call the police on people for false reasons)

dynadot

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It just depends on the nature of your work. *I* (my personal opinion) tend to agree that it looks bad when a company uses it. It is different for private citizens. *I* do use it on my personal domains. Without it, I would get tons of phone calls at all hours of the day and emails from marketers telling me they could build my website, they could do SEO, etc etc.

Samuel L Dotson

hostsdepot

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I like private whois. It will block a lot of spammers.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators