Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.Pro in shambles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionheart

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ICANN has begun investigations into a spate of thousands of .pro registrations in the past month, which have been activated by the .Pro Registry in possible breach of their Agreement with ICANN. This stipulates that all registrants must have their professional status in professional organisations in a limited number of professions verified carefully before a domain can be activated.

Suddenly a rush of names like C**t.pro and F**k.pro have been allowed to be registered, and speculators from all over the world have been joining in the supposed "goldrush" to get good generic names with the .pro ending.

A registrar called EnCirca seems to have sparked some of this off, by initiating their own interpretation of what constitutes a legitimate .pro registration. Unfortunately for these speculators (and I strongly warn all members of this forum) ICANN looks set to intervene and possibly reverse the registrations.

For examples of the registrations that may be investigated, and some of the issues, you can read my posts today on the GA mailing list at ICANN:

http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/ga/msg02433.html
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/ga/msg02422.html
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/ga/msg02428.html

You may recall all the .info names which were cancelled before .info Landrush 2. Also some thousands of .biz names after the .biz2B. My money is on the same thing happening here with these .pro registrations which clearly contravene the intentions of the .Pro registry as set out in the ICANN Agreement. If this happens, will the registrants get any of their money back?

Yrs,

Richard H

datat

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I stumbled across EnCirca, the other day and thought better of regging a few names. Now glad I'm not on the list.

If they don't reverse this, there could be a huge impact on the other new names. The domains mentioned will probably make there make back from the publicity. The other could just end up loosing out, unless EnCirca feels the need to refund them.

Will be one to keep an eye on.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"pro" is British slang for "prostitute". :-D

jimmy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I smell "professional" troubles... :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
.pro = a waste of money like .name

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jimmy said:
I smell "professional" troubles... :)

No that's just Richard rattling his very, very small saber.

MediaHound said:

Again, Richard's point-of-view. This is not an "official" ICANN position. They are simply checking out what Encirca is doing.

Keep in mind everyone, Richard is on the "At Large" Constinuency board whereby all one has to do is have someone nominate you, then you have to have enough people who know you "vote" for you. Hell, the next time they have their "global vote" we could nominate anyone from this board, then give instructions where to vote for them, and I can guarantee we'd get them elected.

btw: If you registered a dot pro name, Richard has publically posted your name on the DNSO list like a common criminal. I find this reprehensible:

http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/ga/msg02433.html

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One last thought Richard. I always did find it interesting how you came out alright with the dot info's you did pick up in the landrush.. Poetry.info was a good one. Oh, and the .biz rollout. For awhile there you owned, Football.biz. I see now you must have sold that one. Funny, how those that rant the most seem to come out o.k in the end. :wink:

MediaHound said:
It's just letters A through F.
I wonder how he compiled the list anyway.

He is obsessive compulsive about this type of stuff (see google link). By judging from his DNSO rants he's really gone off the deep end this time.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=richard+henderson+icann

lionheart

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
One last thought Richard. I always did find it interesting how you came out alright with the dot info's you did pick up in the landrush.. Poetry.info was a good one. Oh, and the .biz rollout. For awhile there you owned, Football.biz. I see now you must have sold that one. Funny, how those that rant the most seem to come out o.k in the end. :wink:

Hi Greg,

I applied for Football.biz through Secura and got it in the .biz2B - I hadn't a clue I would get it but I think Secura didn't get many people using them in the .Biz2B so it probably increased their chances in the Round Robin. I didn't sell Football.biz. I swopped it for Henderson.info because I think in the end I'll find that more interesting. After I realised that short queues = better chances in Round Robins, I applied through Total Registrations because it seemed like it would have a short queue, and that's how I got Poetry.info. I don't think I've ever profited from the domain industry and my interest is to build up a collection of websites which interest me. I think I've sold 4 domains in these past 4 years because I got bored with them or someone approached me and I thought 'What the Hell...' I've spent more buying the domains I wanted. I am primarily a 'domain buyer'.

With regard to my "rantings" as you call them, my main point is that there should be clear and well-defined contracts and that consumers should be able to rely on a Registrar and Registry Industry to stick to the contracts so that the DNS is not a 'wild west'.

All I'm doing is challenging EnCirca and RegistryPro on whether they are adhering to their contracts with ICANN and with each other. I do not personally believe that these contracts have been followed in this case, either in spirit or to the letter. I believe the .Pro registry has questions to answer, and I believe that EnCirca have questions to answer, and I'm asking some questions, and they're free to respond or not.

I in no way criticise any registrants for applying for .Pro domains over the past month because they have been confused in my opinion and have probably not all read the Agreements. However I predict they will lose all their recent registrations (just as happened with .info a few years back). Basically the ICANN contract gives these registrants 60 days to be certified within the restrictions of the .Pro registry, and then ICANN and the Registry may cancel the registrations and note "there will be no refund".

In my opinion, it is reasonable for me, on a domain forum, to flag up to people that I think they are in danger of spending money on domains which will be taken away from them without a refund.

If I turn out to be wrong, some people here will get to keep their shiny new domains like f**k.pro and c**t.pro ... if I am right, then I believe I will have been correct to flag this up and hopefully some of you reading will not have lost your hard-earned money.

I don't set out to criticise you, Greg. I regarded you as a valued voice in the disgrace which was the .info fiasco, where some registrars routinely broke the ICANN Agreements for their own profit, and consumers got ripped off as a result.

It is exactly the same issue I am pressing here: either ICANN enforces its agreements and processes have integrity, or no consumer is safe from being ripped off.

Please note: I said "some" registrars broke the rules. I have full respect for hard-working registrars just trying to earn a living in an honest way and I have met some brilliant registrars in the industry for whom I have the highest respect. I am not against Registrars. I'm against a minority who mess up the processes.

Let's see what action ICANN decides to take, or what sanctions they decide to impose.

I predict they will intervene on this one. Dot Pro is not a gTLD and was never intended to be. Nor does the ICANN Agreement define it as one. It states clearly that no registration may be activated until a recognised process of certification (and checking of credentials) has taken place.

Do you think that this has happened for voice.pro (registered 3 days ago and instantly offered for sale on Ebay for $50,000)?

I believe ICANN will confiscate over 1000 domains, possibly considerably more, on the grounds that they were invalid applications.

Am I wrong to say to domainers on this forum: I think you may have a problem, beware?

Yrs sincerely,

Richard H

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that you have a valid point Richard - I was considering the .pro as an opportunity to have a unique "webspace" for my profession, after all that is what all of the promotional information led me to believe.
As the situation stands at the moment the promotional information was just hype and as such the .pro is no longer of interest to me - it will do nothing for my profession or my professional image.
Was this what was intended? I would like to think not.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lionheart said:
Am I wrong to say to domainers on this forum: I think you may have a problem, beware?

Yrs sincerely,

Richard H

You know Richard, I finally figured you out. You "create" drama just to draw attention to yourself. If you in anyway thought there would be a problem for domainers you would be trying to help them keep the domains they purchased. Not the other way around. THAT IS A FACT YOU CAN'T BURY IN TWELVE PARAGRPAHS OF REBUTTAL!!!!

Encirca has only tried to help domainers and other like minded professionals get decent names at a fraction of what a .pro normally cost. Also they cut the red tape that has been strangling this domain. Why on earth would you challenge that? Again, I bring attention to your constant "drama" break outs where you'll hop domain board, to domain board just to bring attention to your "latest" cause. Look at your posts on the DNSO, you have at least 5 or 6 rants which call into question Encirca's crediblity as well as for those individuals who purchase generic names. NOT ONCE DID YOU MENTION HOW THIS WOULD ADVERSELY AFFECT DOMAINERS. Instead you show contempt for those who would DARE to register "unprofessional-like" domains such as "Bible.pro". Who dare uses such a name?

Like I said, Richard. You are going to lose, and lose big time. My suggestion to you would be to figure your way out of this latest "drama" you've created, because it's going to blow up on you big-time. All the years you've been posting on DNSO, ICANN, etc and for what: Crying the river because some developer's were able to secure some dot pro names. I suggest you consider your weak position: You are on a "At Large" board that has very little impact on ICANN.

lionheart said:
I believe ICANN will confiscate over 1000 domains, possibly considerably more, on the grounds that they were invalid applications.

In your dreams Richard... Do you realize how silly you sound? You have done nothing but belittle ICANN ever since you came on the scene, and now you somehow have initimate knowledge of what ICANN will do?

As far the $50,000.00 dot pro name on ebay, I'm usually not too concerned as you seem to be what a private citizen does.

btw: You seem to be really proud that you're on that "At Large" Individual Constinuency Board... You'd think you'd side with those individuals who plan to develop their dot pro names, instead of the other way around. Hypocrisy always seems to catch up with those individuals who take themselves to seriously they believe their own "drama" press. Oh, just one more thing. If all you do with your time is post trivial matters with Jeff Williams, et al you really need to take a step back and realize how much time you are wasting on that DNSO board.

lionheart

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've received a description of how a .pro domain was gained this month through EnCirca. My correspondent is well known. He mails me as follows:

"I would ask for some discretion. I would prefer that you’d not list my name in conjunction with this.

Straight up, I basically registered four .pros.

There was absolutely no verification performed by Encirca as part of the process. It was simply sign up, pay $49, and 'viola'. "

My contact had been drawn to the EnCirca system by an article here:
http://www.webhostdir.com/news/articles/shownews.asp?id=11643
which then led to here:
http://www.encirca.biz/html/proforwarding.shtml
which set out how they would get "your domain":

"How EnCirca's ProForwarding Service Works

>>>Your domain is registered in the name of EnCirca's ProForwarding Service, so that we can submit and maintain the professional credentials required for .pro domain names.

>>>You retain the FULL BENEFITS of domain registration. As Admin, Technical and Billing Contact: You can sell, renew or cancel your domain; set-up the nameservers for your domain; and resolve disputes involving your domain.

>>>Domains maintained by EnCirca's ProForwarding service may be transferred in a private sale to a third party at any time. Owner transfer is accomplished via EnCirca's free Account Move utility

>>>EnCirca reserves the right to cancel any registration suspected of trademark infringement,spamming, or other illegal activity. To clarify prohibited use, we have amended the ProForwarding terms as follows:

>>>Licensee may not, in connection with use of the Domain Name, explicitly or implicitly misrepresent professional credentials, including but not limited to levels of training, certification, education, licensing or membership in a professional organization. "

This seems to place the responsibility on the applicant, effectively saying: it's your own fault if you're not who you claim to be.

This is a million light years away from the requirement of the ICANN Registry Agreement that claims should undergo a process of scrutiny to verify them.

In the case of my correspondent, not a single enquiry was made, even of what kind of professional (if any) he was before the name was registered and activated.

I suggest (but leave ICANN to decide) that this was in clear contravention of the ICANN Agreement and specifically Appendix L.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lionheart said:
A registrar called EnCirca seems to have sparked some of this off, by initiating their own interpretation of what constitutes a legitimate .pro registration. Unfortunately for these speculators (and I strongly warn all members of this forum) ICANN looks set to intervene and possibly reverse the registrations.

I find your 'speculation' on the fate of the speculators to be baseless.
You also say that ICANN looks set to intervene, yet have not shown anything but a few links with some Qs and As.
You are alarming a community (I cant speak for anyone here except myself, but I find your post as a false alarm), based on your opinion, which i can not see how it was formed, nor why you are so vigilantly defending it.
As to what are the motives behind this attack on encirca and the .pro registry (because it is an attack), as well as why private names of people who have registered .pro domains are within the links you provided, that I can not answer, but I can sure see where it is coming from. And a good will gesture, it is not.

Anyhow, freedom of speech at its best form...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lionheart said:
I've received a description of how a .pro domain was gained this month through EnCirca. My correspondent is well known. He mails me as follows:

"I would ask for some discretion. I would prefer that you’d not list my name in conjunction with this.

Straight up, I basically registered four .pros.

There was absolutely no verification performed by Encirca as part of the process. It was simply sign up, pay $49, and 'viola'. "

My contact had been drawn to the EnCirca system by an article here:
http://www.webhostdir.com/news/articles/shownews.asp?id=11643
which then led to here:
http://www.encirca.biz/html/proforwarding.shtml
which set out how they would get "your domain":

"How EnCirca's ProForwarding Service Works

I suggest (but leave ICANN to decide) that this was in clear contravention of the ICANN Agreement and specifically Appendix L.[/COLOR]
Yrs,

Richard Henderson

Richard,

As far as your famous "correspondent" that privately emailed you, it just fits your inherent need to feel important. Famous people care what you think!! That's laughable. Also did you first get his permission to post his email on this forum? No? Well, we will find out who he is by deduction methods, and once again you'll have breached someone's privacy.

Keep in mind Richard, all that you are is an "alarmist". You are also now hated in the Domain Community. I suggest you give up your "Individual" Constinuency Board seat because you obviously aren't representing the individual internet users on the At Large board. Many invidual internet users feel pretty good about Encirca's service. However you've made a personal indictment of that service without taking into account how your constinuency feels. Poor Richard...

btw: I see now you are starting to use language that doesn't indict Encirca before ICANN has a chance to look into their "useful" and "creative" service. :wink: You still have a paper trail Richard... You went off half cocked (once again) without fully understanding what it is that Encirca is doing.

>>>>I suggest (but leave ICANN to decide) that this was in clear contravention of the ICANN Agreement and specifically Appendix L.<<<<

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Richard isn't a member of the real ICANN "At Large" Committee (which has been a total failure, in any event). See:

http://www.icann.org/committees/alac/

for the real members. Richard's just in an independtly-organized (and not offically recognized) group that uses "at-large" in their domain name.

Many of Richard's points are valid, though. .pro was not intended to be an unrestricted gTLD, and the current Encirca moves have had the effect of doing an end-run around the restricted nature of that TLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom