Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about them?

Do you think they will get better in time, is it about the type of name to have it work well. For example plumber.pro would work but seattlecoffeeshops.pro might not?

christraynor

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
or jointhe.pro :) You'll need to think about that one for a bit

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Crack.pro" I hope you don't inspire to be a comedian.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Crack.pro" I hope you don't inspire to be a comedian.

"Aspire" is the word you're looking for :)

And to answer your question, .pro was a whole lot of hype, over nothing, just like most gTLD releases. I wouldn't invest in it.

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Aspire" is the word you're looking for :)

And to answer your question, .pro was a whole lot of hype, over nothing, just like most gTLD releases. I wouldn't invest in it.

Thanks, that is the word.

Why was it hyped and not good?

I personally think it sounds great.

laplumber.pro opposed to laplumber.net (.info would not work at all) .co or .coke for the matter makes no sense. .pro sounds much better than any of them for a professional service. It is also easy to remember.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
laplumber.pro opposed to laplumber.net
This is why words within domains should be capitalized. Am I the only one who read it as "lap lumber"? (Sounds like a euphemism ....)

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is the word.

Why was it hyped and not good?

I personally think it sounds great.

laplumber.pro opposed to laplumber.net (.info would not work at all) .co or .coke for the matter makes no sense. .pro sounds much better than any of them for a professional service. It is also easy to remember.

While the nature of the certification necessary to become, let's say, a plumber, for argument's sake, is that of a "professional"... if you are in search for a plumber, you are not looking for a "professional"... you are looking for a "plumber".

This is exactly why I say that who you need to consider when buying a domain name is not yourself... but your customers.

We live in a world where .us... the official TLD of the United States of America, is known by probably less than 10% of its residents.

That being said... imagine trying to convince the "average joe"... the 40-something or 50-something guy who uses internet explorer and has an @comcast.net email address, that "only a professional plumber" would use .pro.

You can't. The fact is, .com has been the face, the poster boy, the ambassador, the forefront of the internet since its inception.

Alternative TLD's such as .edu and .gov have very clear purposes; to identify certified institutions of higher education, or of government, respectively.

Whereas, plumbers, dentists and electricians having strictly commercial purposes, they're not about to put their brandability on the line for the sake of a "cool" new TLD.

Just because it's a great idea... doesn't mean it's a PROFITABLE idea.

This is why I assess any idea by asking myself in my most condescending tone, "why would somebody pay money for this?".

Too many times I'll be unable to justify it... which fast-forwards the learning curve for me.

webhostpro

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes perfect since, and non one can argue that .com is 90% of the internet and .org and .edu and .gov for the matter have a solid purpose.

My thought is that .pro is not taking over .com but rather just an alternative that still has credibility for the services industry, I don't think people would assume having a .pro domain is more professional than a .com just the latter. My question if it still can have a place with .com OR if not which tld can? I think it's safe to say more tld's will pop up with time, I just can't think of another one that could sound better than .pro for a services website. Maybe .co .biz or .tv? definably not .us, I don't see that for any business purpose.

If you had to choose another tld (existing or not) for business and services which would it be? Assuming eventually one would come up to rival .com eventually.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem with the restricted TLDs, is that the vetting of applicants does not really make them more trustworthy.

Very simple reason: the layman has no idea of the restrictions that .pro .museum, .jobs or .whatever entail.

It's in fact the opposite, people tend NOT to trust URLs with an ending (TLD) they are not familiar with.
The so-called 'credibility' of restricted TLDs is a moot point. If extensions like .pro were routinely used by high-profile websites, the public perception would change.

Another point to consider: not having a .com often suggests that you are a latecomer, you missed the boat etc. It's like you have a .pro because .com/.net/.org/.biz/.etc were already taken, and you took whatever was left, that didn't look too lousy :lol:
You may experience the stigma even when you have a .net, yet .net is much more established than .pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom