Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Problem with auction site

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gist of the story is a few years ago the domain was owned by someone else who were threatened with legal action by the top auction site.

News Story

Thing is I am wanting to redo the website but I don't know what would happen if I did do it.

I was thinking of starting either an Auction site or a Classified site using the name in the story.

Am I stupid to do this or should I go ahead?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just don't use any domain with the word bay in it for anything auction-related
at all.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ne-classifieds.co.uk, perhaps. I'd avoid this one. Ebay effectively shut down 'AuctionBay.com' in the later 90s after it got a bit of success. They became 'AuctionDiner.com' and faded into oblivion. I own that second name now and it still makes money. That 'bay' thing will likely bite and they have lots of money and lawyers.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say if you have NO money and plenty of spare time ,then you might get away with it. Look up recent case in ECHR of Intel
trying to stop Intelmark and read the Judgement and that will tell
you if you have chance. If the emphasis is on "Bay" or "ebay"and the site
is an auction or online sales site then I think you would be doomed.

DG

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The lads who owned the site before spent £10,000 on advertising, some high profile places in Newcastle still have the link and display adverts within shops for it.

I got a lot of emails asking if I would reopen the site up again because it was pretty well known before the ebay case, people used to make a lot of money selling items on it.

Would it make a difference if the site was non-profit?

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've got a meeting with a MEP (Member for European Parliament) about the issue with it, his team have said they are dealing with a similar case and that eBay are going after domains for the sake of doing it.

With my name relating to the region and several Bays in the area, and with it being hyphenated then I stand a pretty good chance of getting legal help from his team they have said.

I will know more in a few weeks but I intend to take them on, I have very little money and no assets worth anything so I might as well :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom