Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

PROBLEM with offer on SEDO

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeavyDora

OK, I feel like I got screwed here and I want to hear your opinions.

Being an avid boxing fan, I was looking for a decent boxing domain that was for sale. I did a search here at DNF. I came across THIS thread:

http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=61618&highlight=boxeando.com

I thought, "Well no way I can afford that, but I am very curious what this guy is asking for it." In the thread, people are throwing around numbers like $xx,xxx and $xxx,xxx. WAY out of my league.

So I go to this guy's parked domain at sedo.com and put a low bid in. A ridiculously low bid of $500. I wanted to see his response and what he would counter with? $50,000? $80,000? It just said "make offer".

I was SHOCKED this morning when he accepted my bid. Ok, here's my problem. Boxeando.com is NOT spanish for boxing like he claimed in the thread, AND like he claimed on his parked page at sedo.com. I can't exactly figure out WHAT it means. It does not show up in a spanish dictionary, but I do see it when I do a search for 'boxeando' on yahoo. I also see that boxing = boxeo, and all the domains boxeo.xxx are taken.

Ok. Yes, I should have done some research. I simply accepted the fact that his domain was as advertised. I haven't contacted sedo yet, but what should I do?

My problem is not so much from the post here at DNF (although I was misled there), but he advertised his domain at sedo where I placed the offer. My offer was based on THAT description. Of course now that my offer was accepted, it took down the description. What now?

Feeling very taken...

Crossposted to the gold cafe. Discussion is there.

http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=419975#post419975

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
AV.com translates "boxeando" as "boxing".

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello from Sedo,

We have researched this and "boxeando" does indeed mean boxing.
However, "boxeando" (boxing) is the gerund of the Spanish verb "to box" - not a noun.

When a verb ends in -ing, it may be a gerund or a present participle. It is important to understand that they are not the same.

When we use a verb in -ing form more like a noun, it is usually a gerund:

Fishing is fun.
When we use a verb in -ing form more like a verb or an adjective, it is usually a present participle:

HeavyDora is buying domains.
I have a boring teacher.

Hope that helps, but I'm afraid the seller's comments could not be seen as untrue.

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Key Account Manager

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites

tel +49 (221)-420-758-287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: [email protected] :: url: www.sedo.com

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

H

HeavyDora

SedoCoUk said:
Hope that helps, but I'm afraid the seller's comments could not be seen as untrue.

If not specifically "untrue" (which I still debate), it sure as hell is MISLEADING at a minimum. I think you should contact the seller, tell him his comments are misleading and borderline untrue, and ask that he accept my wish to cancel the negotitaion.

If he is a good guy, he will have no problem. Otherwise he knows he is taking advantage of someone. He knows his domain isn't worth the $500 offered. While I accept responsibility for not doing due diligence, to still accept my offer after all this would be unkind.

Maybe he cares, maybe he doesn't. But I would prefer you put the question to him at least.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Personally I don't see how this can be construed as 'misleading'. I am no expert in Spanish but if I were to buy a German domain for example I would do my research in advance.

The difference is not obvious because:

noun: Fight
gerund: Fighting

but

noun: Boxing
gerund: Boxing

He did say that "boxeando" means "boxing" and that's exactly what it means, although due to your lack of Spanish grammar knowledge you picked the 'wrong' variant.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HeavyDora said:
I thought, "Well no way I can afford that, but I am very curious what this guy is asking for it." In the thread, people are throwing around numbers like $xx,xxx and $xxx,xxx. WAY out of my league.

So I go to this guy's parked domain at sedo.com and put a low bid in. A ridiculously low bid of $500. I wanted to see his response and what he would counter with? $50,000? $80,000? It just said "make offer".

I was SHOCKED this morning when he accepted my bid.

It appears that you didn't actually want the name and carried out what can only be described as a "silly" experiment that backfired on you. Hopefully you will have learned from this lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators