Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Professional Sports related domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What are the ramifications of registering a domain that includes commonly used professional sport abbreviations, like NBA or NFL or team names. I believe these are trademarked by the respective leagues/teams but I wanted to know if anyone has either experienced or heard about legal challenges against fan based/player info type of for profit websites that may use them as part of the domain name.

Thanks.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

What brought me into the industry was a guy that regged http://www.CharlotteBobcats.com for $15 and was offered $1,000 by the NBA. The NBA announced that the charlotte team would be 1 of three names (bobcats, flight, or something else, cant remember) this genius registered CharlotteBobcats.com, and has squatted on it ever since. He passed up the $1,000 offer. He still owns it so... yah

NBA got "BobcatsBasketball.com" quickly after.

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting, but that was with a new team and this guy probably had it reged before the name was decided. I was actually thinking of a couple of domains in the NBAabcd.com type of format.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nope, he regged it when the 3 names were released as being candidates for the NBA name.

I even read an article in the paper about it.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own two domains that have RedSox in them, I am not sure what to do about them, they are parked... I am not even sure if I should be telling anyone that I have them...

Confusing issue I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom