Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

"property loan".com reg'd in french

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinGu

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have the barristers of a french banking group Crédit Foncier (means 'property loan' in english) claiming i registered their company name in bad faith (créditfoncier.com). as an australian living in france, i did not even know the group existed until i got their letter, but they claim this is impossible. for me, the name is highly generic and suits my future plans for a real estate portal. how should i proceed? as it is a .com i assume the proceedings will take place in the US, but who foots the legal bills and how much are they if i lose?

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a noob (and not a lawyer) but had to do some research myself. Generally these are arbitrated settlements and take place based on where the registrar is located. Make sure your email address (et al) is correct on Whois because this is how they will contact you. I don't know anything about the trademark system in France. However, the settlements are published on the web and accessible via a link in this forum (i.e. Search WIPRO or UDRP). Spend time reading these to better assess where you stand.

BTW, DO NOT offer to sell the domain to them. This is a clear indication you registered the domain in "bad faith".

Good luck,
BidNo

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will probably go with WIPO and file a claim for the domain. All costs are paid by them unless you choose to hire a lawyer to represent you.

The words are generic themselves, but when put together they probably do violate their TM. Even more so when the language is considered.

There is no cost if you lose a WIPO proceeding. However they could still bring a civil case against you afterwards.

The claim could be made in French so be prepared to translate.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a trademark for "crédit foncier" in US or France. I believe its a generic term as well. I would reply that "you registered the name in good faith due to its generic nature and that a trademark search produced no results/conflicts." This is all I would say in my reply, nothing more.

No trademark, they have no legit claim to the .com

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zoobar said:
I couldn't find a trademark for "crédit foncier" in US or France. I believe its a generic term as well. I would reply that "you registered the name in good faith due to its generic nature and that a trademark search produced no results/conflicts." This is all I would say in my reply, nothing more.

No trademark, they have no legit claim to the .com

I agree with zoobar.

It's a generic term IMO, how many other "crédit foncier" companies do you think there are located in France? Tons.

- Rob

JinGu

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies:) I checked in TESS trademark db and only found an ABANDONED entry for credit foncier, which seems self-evident.

DNGeeks said:
However they could still bring a civil case against you afterwards.

What would this be for?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Read the almaza.com UDRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom