Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Proposed dot-WEB tld and Chris Ambler

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chris, hope you are here? Just heard about some new tld's being proposed and disappointed to see .web which you and IOD have championed for so many yrs NOT on the application list (but I am not sure?). Is it?

I have serious money invested in almost 100 .web pre-registrations and not too long ago you said there was a real good chance web would be approved by 2005? I had such faith in web going into the root have even purchased a few more prereg .web's this year! What happened?

Why does it seem the new application was NOT submitted to ICANN, as it appears? Are you still a consultant, owner or employee of IOD (in addition to being with Enom)? Perhaps I am missing something or wrong on it not being proposed? Thanks.

Link to .WEB: http://www.webtld.com/

P.S. Anyone else here invest in web pre-registrations? Any other opinions as to if it will ever be approved?

Domain Days 2024

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This round was for Sponsored TLDs only. .Web is the poster-child of an Unsponsored TLD. As such, it would have been properly rejected.

ICANN is under orders from the Department of Commerce to open new unsponsored applications in 2005, and we are pushing for non-accepted applications from 2000 to be addressed first.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is extremely weird! About a year ago I remembered the .web in the public root server. When these were announced I thought of the .web extension and the quote from earlier " This year will be a promising year"

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.Web has never been in the root servers.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
.Web has never been in the root servers.

Public Root Server Whois

TLD : .web
Registrar : The .Web Internet Domain Registry
Company Name : The .Web Internet Domain Registry
Street : 1241 Johnson Avenue, Suite 201
City : San Luis Obispo
State : CA
Zip : 93401-3306
Phone Number : +1 805 543 4716
Fax Number : +1 805 543 4735
Email : [email protected]

Name Servers

Name-Server 1 : ns1.web-zone.webtld.com
Name-Server 2 : ns2.web-zone.webtld.com

The .web TLD is found in the Inclusive Name Space

Click here to go to the .web registry

PUBLIC-ROOT WHOIS

http://www.newroot.com

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's not the root servers.

That's an alternate set of root servers used by 12 people and their dog.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
That's not the root servers.
That's an alternate set of root servers used by 12 people and their dog.
Kind of like pre-Icann dot-Biz.

~ Nexus

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pre-order of .web is a joke imo.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are no "pre-orders" or "pre-registrations" of .Web.

All registration are just that - registrations. When ICANN finally starts approving more gTLDs, and .Web is put in the root, they will resolve in the root. Nothing more, nothing less.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cambler said:

All registration are just that - registrations. When ICANN finally starts approving more gTLDs, and .Web is put in the root, they will resolve in the root. Nothing more, nothing less.
"I have serious money invested in almost 100 .web pre-registrations and not too long ago you said there was a real good chance web would be approved by 2005?"

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still feel that way. Unless ICANN finds some way to skirt the requirements that DoC and NTIA have put on it, they have to start approving applicants in 2005. Of course, nothing is certain - this *is* ICANN we're talking about.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:

Since the tld is not in the root and they do not resolve, my describing them as 'pre-registrations' is very fitting and appropriate, IMO.

With all due respect it seems like a smoke-screen when you say they are really 'registrations' even though the ext has not been approved by ICANN.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see my .WEB registrations from several years ago are still there - cool. Working now to update the dns to make them work again for folks using alternative roots; not many do.

.WEB seems redundent, but it certainly beats .info and .biz in usefulness; .web is intuitive.

A possible wrinkle with .WEB, beyond many of the obvious, is that .WEB itself is trademarked - I'd suspect companies would be leery of using domains in .web for much beyond place-holders and redirectors. Perhaps this is not a problem, since it appears all the .WEB applications pending at the USPTO are seemingly perpetually suspended...?

Ron

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
.WEB seems redundent, but it certainly beats .info and .biz in usefulness; .web is intuitive.

Not yet it doesn't.....

gph

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:

.web seems less useful to me. email and ftp are not technically the www, but generally "web enabled". The web is only part of the internet. Although I guess it's as good as any others. Personally I really like .info when used for the correct type of site.

BTW, ICANN is supposed to start accepting new gTLD applications by year end after approving any sTLD's. Two sTLD's were approved last week and negotiations have started with .travel and .post applicants. Sounds to me like the gTLD's would probably be on track for applications early next year. Although I really don't think we need any more gTLD's yet.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like .web but I am upset that they allowed these pre-reg's prior to acceptance and without letting the public know before most the good names were taken. I think ICANN should be wary or companies that operate in this manner, this is akin to insider stock trader and the company has an unfair advantage if it allows people to reg prior. I hate when the goevernment gets involved with our lives but this is one case where we might need some regulation to discourage this type of behavior. When industrios create unfair advantage and take away competition for products or services it is border line illegal and not in the best interest of free enterprise. My opinion only.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
acronym, please check your history.

The .Web registry went live on 31 July, 1996 at the direction of IANA and Jon Postel. When the .com registry went live, the public was not notified, either.

Jon Postel asked us to take the regsitry live to prove the system, and had promised that it would be in the roots by October of that year. Before he could do that, the Internet Society took over, formed the IAHC and attempted to take over the root. As we all know, that failed, the US Government stepped in and formed ICANN, and we have the system we have now.

Indeed, ICANN decided in November of 2000 to not award .Web to Afilias and NeuStar, who had applied for it, specifically because of IOD's standing and existing registrations.

Had you been participating in the new TLD discussions in 1996, you would have known of .Web - just because you weren't there, it should be considered unfair somehow? If that's your opinion, should the public be notified of every business opening everywhere in the world? Hardly.

This argument was made in 1998 and again in 2000 and both times put to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom