Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Protect yourself! Don't use the same email address for WhoIs and registrar contact!

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use two different emails for my Whois and registrar contact information. Why? So many reasons it's not funny but the main reason is to protect your investments.

I have two email addresses.

Address "A" - an email address from a domain that I own and use. Godaddy gives you one free email per domain plus if you have any developed sites you can get more though your post. It's even better to use a domain that you don't promote (say you have a .org pointed to a .com - use an email from the .org). Make sure the password is as secure as you can make it, the longer and more random the better.

Address "B" - gMail. I use them because of their spam filter.

When you sign up with a registrar (or go in and edit your current information) make the email address "A" (the domain that you own). This will be the contact email for the registrar to you. They will use this for password resets, ICANN notices, and other important communications.

Then, when you register domains (or do a mass update) have the email in that "B" - this will be the WhoIs contact.

Phishing attempts, solicitations, etc.. will all go to "B" and unless you're not paying attention you WILL NEVER fall for a phishing attempt since they all use the WhoIs contact. I've NEVER had any phishing, spams, scams, offers, solicitations, etc.. go to my "A" email address. Just make sure you change the WhoIs email while registering new domains.

GoDaddy - use the method mentioned above

Moniker - use the method mentioned above

I don't know how to do this with other registrars since I don't use others, if you know how feel free to post instructions (but to avoid breaking rules, do not push your own registrar but you can PM me instructions on how to do this and I can add it to the list). If you know some of the other popular ones, please post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom