Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Purchased a name months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

prose

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I purchased a site for $50 off ebay a few months back. The member advertised it here.

Today I receive an email from someone who says the previous owner owes him $2,300 from work not completed (the site was a service oriented site).

He says that I am responsible for re-embursing him and not the previous owner!

These people are in the US and I am in Canada. His quote, "According to state law, unless you can show me an agreement between the two of you that you are not responsible, you purchased the liabilities as well."

I actually forgot I bought this off ebay ( i do this often with domains ) and havn't looked at the site since I got it last minute.

DC

Josh

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this issue would turn on whether you bought the domain name or whether you bought the business. If you bought the business, you could be liable, but even then there might be a number of issues involved. If you indeed bought just the domain name, then you would not be liable.

I would probably ignore him. Retaining an attorney and suing in anything other than small claims court would cost more than $2,600. He's isn't likely to do it. And then there's the issue that your in a different country than him, which may have jurisdictional issues. I'd just ignore him.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom