Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
This is a discussion about the domain name register/company GoDaddy.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the following situation before with GoDaddy?

Yesterday I received an email (from a GoDaddy do not reply address) thanking me for contacting them and telling me to click below to change my password.

As I had not contacted them about my password (or anything else), I went onto the site to inquire about the email. I half expected I wouldn't be able to use my current password, but had no trouble doing so.

A few hours ago I had a response from GoDaddy that failed to address my statement that I hadn't contacted them, and went on to explain all the reasons a password might not be secure.

This response included the very poorly-written sentence: "We suggest you to set the password in the given way below to be secured." I don't wish to criticise the writer, but am aware - as I know others are - that poorly-written English is often a warning sign with regard to security.

I am happy that my password is a secure one, and have no wish to change it at the moment. I am, however, concerned that GoDaddy didn't address the issue that I had not previously contacted them in such a way as to evoke the original email thanking me for doing so and giving me a link to click to change my password.

Is this something others have experienced with GoDaddy?

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Delete the email immediately, do not click on any links. This is not GoDaddy!

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Delete the email immediately, do not click on any links. This is not GoDaddy!

Thanks for the quick response, icedude. Don't worry, I have no intention of clicking on anything in the email - or in any email. But is the second email also a problem? If this isn't from GoDaddy either, how does the sender know I've contacted GoDaddy about the first email?

On the other hand, if this second email is from GoDaddy, in response to my ticketed query made on site about the first one, why has my question about assumed original contact by me not been addressed?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check the link carefully, the domain name is probably a phishing typo.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't see the image.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Katherine. I've carefully checked the address from which the first email came, and it definitely seems to be GoDaddy ([email protected]). I didn't click the link, so don't know if that corresponds. The email told me I had a two-hour window in which to change my password.

The response to my on-site query also came from that address, giving me a ticket number and saying I would have a reply within six hours.

When it came, the badly-worded reply to the ticket - which didn't address my original query - was from support@godaddy.

I'm wondering now if the first email wasn't because someone tried to access my account with the wrong password. Would that elicit such a response?

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SORRY THAT YOU CAN SEE THE PICTURE KATHERINE,
i have got the same message:

GoDaddy [email protected]

<tbody>
</tbody>
Reminder: Please verify your email address

"" [FONT=Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica, Arial]Dear Valued GoDaddy Customer,

We noticed that you still need to verify your email address. To do so, simply click the button below. You will not be asked to log in to your GoDaddy account &#8211; we are simply verifying ownership of this email address.

You can't fully manage your domain until you verify your email. If you don't take care of it in a timely manner we'll be required to put any hosted content on hold.
[/FONT]

<center>
link removed by me

<tbody>
</tbody>
</center> [FONT=Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica, Arial]
Thanks for being a GoDaddy customer.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy
[/FONT]""

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've carefully checked the address from which the first email came, and it definitely seems to be GoDaddy ([email protected]). I didn't click the link, so don't know if that corresponds.
The sender address means nothing, it can be spoofed. I can send E-mail from [email protected] but I won't get your reply.

I'm not asking you to click the link, but you can copy-paste it or just hover the mouse pointer over it, and analyze the URL, the domain in particular. It could be a fake domain name like goaddy.com or something similar.

Another possibility is that the E-mail comes from Nodaddy and somebody initiated a password change request for your account.

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but i already change my password

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did as you suggested, Katherine, and the address came up as: https:idp.godaddy.com/account/accountretrieval.aspx? . . . (more stuff that looks like GoDaddy file numbers etc.).

So perhaps someone did try to log in to my account, triggering the original email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators