Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Question about .ca transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question that some of you might know how to answer.

Previously, before CIRA started to use a new system few months ago, we had to pay 1. for moving domain name from one registrar to another (registrar change) and 2. for the registrant change (aka ownership change). As I understand, but I might be mistaken, step 2 is not needed anymore, and we can change the registrant information ourselves within registrar's control panel without paying a fee.

If this is true, and somebody can confirm that, I have another question.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question that some of you might know how to answer.

Previously, before CIRA started to use a new system few months ago, we had to pay 1. for moving domain name from one registrar to another (registrar change) and 2. for the registrant change (aka ownership change). As I understand, but I might be mistaken, step 2 is not needed anymore, and we can change the registrant information ourselves within registrar's control panel without paying a fee.

If this is true, and somebody can confirm that, I have another question.

Yes, that is true. There are no charges at all for ownership/rant changes. I am not sure if you can do it on a control panel, since I have always done them
with the help of support at NamesPro. Not sure about other Rars...

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ilze for the confirmation. Another question arises in that case. How CIRA's and registrar's revenue will be affected? Was it ever discussed? I would like to know if it may lead to the price hikes in the future to compensate the shortfall.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't affect anything really as when they charged you for change of rar/rant you also got an extra year of renewal for each one. It wasn't like it was an extra fee with nothing in return ...so no money should be lost as revenue will be there when renewal time comes around.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
during a registrar transfer it is possible to transfer the registrant as well. The registrar has two choices to provide new contacts for the domain or to allow CIRA to provide the current ones. If your registrar doesn't allow you to specify new contacts for the domain then the current ones will be used and you will not be able to do a push for 60 days. So if you would like to change registrar's and move the domains to a new contact I would contact your registrar to ensure they can do that for you :D

Cheers,

Jay

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
during a registrar transfer it is possible to transfer the registrant as well. The registrar has two choices to provide new contacts for the domain or to allow CIRA to provide the current ones. If your registrar doesn't allow you to specify new contacts for the domain then the current ones will be used and you will not be able to do a push for 60 days. So if you would like to change registrar's and move the domains to a new contact I would contact your registrar to ensure they can do that for you :D

Cheers,

Jay

So in that case Jay.. would you do that if the transfer is happens at your Registry?? So to make it clear.. if a domains needs to be moved to a new Registrant (Old CIRA terminology).. then the domain could be moved to Ready under a new Contact ID and then you will push the domain to the new Registrant, without the CIRA freeze having any effect??? I hope I am reading your comment correctly.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Im a bit confused, once it changes accounts the lock is in affect, no? Are you saying only if the rant info changes the lock engages?

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So in that case Jay.. would you do that if the transfer is happens at your Registry?? So to make it clear.. if a domains needs to be moved to a new Registrant (Old CIRA terminology).. then the domain could be moved to Ready under a new Contact ID and then you will push the domain to the new Registrant, without the CIRA freeze having any effect??? I hope I am reading your comment correctly.

Yeah lets use an example, you buy a domain from Mr. XYZ but don't want to keep the domain their, so you would go to ready.ca when your ready to transfer search and add the domain to your cart.

Once in the cart their is a green configure button, you would choose it and make any changes to the domain you need.

This would move it to Ready and put it under you name, by default 99% of transfers happen this way at ready, for a number of reasons I won't go into here.

The only time you cannot do this is during Redemption Grace Period, currently in that stage you have to accept the old contacts. Which is something I'd like to see changed.

Hope that clears it up a bit :D

Cheers,

Jay

@TheLegendaryJP: Yes if you transfer or push a domain certain locks engage, during a transfer it is possible to do both a transfer and a push before the locks are set.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this clarification Jay.. appreciate your input and insight..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom