Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Question about copyrights etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxsum

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So im thinking of buying this domain name..

But theres a magazine with its title in the name..

Lets say you have a big magazine called Weight Watchers

Im trying to buy the name WeightWatchersforum.com

can the company that publishes WeightWatchers come after me and take my site away if I build a forum on that name?

moxsum

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so yes, they can take the site away? What if its something pretty generic though, like People magazine.. and you had PeopleForum.com?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't infringe on what the TM is for. WeightWatchers and People will be hard to use w/o infringing on the TM since their TM is based on what the word means.

But you could have AdobeForum and base it on the mud-based building material.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not to be a nerd, but you're not talking about "copyrights." You're talking about *trademarks*

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The BIG problem with the UDRP is that it does not follow Trade Mark laws. Yes it allows someone to invoke proceedings with a claim that they hold a trade mark, but it will not let you reply with answer that "my use does not violate the trade mark because my use is for selling fish not newspapers" (as an example). That is why the UDRP is so grossly unfair and why companies prefer to use UDRP to take your domain ,because they know full well that under trade mark laws they would not stand any chance. You thus have to draw a large distinction between UDRP's and Trade Mark's ,they are not the same at all and totally different rules apply.

DG

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom