Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Question about developed domains, sales & value

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalapeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's known that developed domains are worth more than undeveloped domains... that's logical because the buyer gets more value for his money.

If a domain is developed, though, isn't it less likely that potential buyers will think it may be for sale and approach the domain owner? If there were a specific domain I was interested in, I know I'd be a lot more likely to inquire about it if it was sitting there unused. If it was fully developed I'd figure "Darn, they're using it."

Is my thinking wrong? Or is it just a different set of buyers who look at developed domains rather than undeveloped ones? I suppose it would be more like buying an established business rather than a vacant shop, but if there's no "for sale" sign in the window won't that mean to a lot of folks that it's not for sale?

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Look at it from the other end - no one would buy a domain for $$$ unless they know that they can earn 10 times the revenue when they develop it profesionaly.

Sites are sold, same as established bussiness - but as you said that's totaly diferent than the sale of domains. A medical site was sold a few months ago - cheep looking domain but about
700,000 register members - expensive :)

It's known that developed domains are worth more than undeveloped domains... that's logical because the buyer gets more value for his money.

Mere development does not automatically add any appreciable value imo.

When people pay large sums of money for domains its invariably because they want to use the domain with their existing site or to branch into a new one regardless of whats on the site prior to purchase.

Its different at the low end of the market, like where the ebay sales are - and its also different when the developed website is a fully functioning business (as opposed to a site that was developed for the sake of developing to add perceived value).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom