Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Question about Trademark domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppflager

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question is a bit confusing.

I've done a lot of reading about domaining and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before just jumping in. I've read that (obviously) it isn't a good idea to register domains that include trademarked names.

For example I was doing some research and looking at registered domains. I came across epiphoneguitars.com, which I don't believe is owned by Epiphone and epiphoneguitars.net is available and unregistered. Is it only illegal to use the trademark name to sell or is it generally a bad idea to register or own a trademark domain?

Thanks!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, it is generally a bad idea to register or own a trademarked domain

though i don't know of any "law" that says registering, owning or selling them is illegal, otherwise registrars and dropcatchers could/should be on the hook for that.

imo...

technogreen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sad but true Trademark domains are more commercial and high CPC.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I came across epiphoneguitars.com, which I don't believe is owned by Epiphone and epiphoneguitars.net is available and unregistered.
Epiphone exists because of a company named Epiphone. Epiphone Guitars exists because a company named Epiphone makes Epiphone guitars.

There would be absolutely no legitimate argument or defense for someone other than epiphone to own EpiphoneGuitars.com, net, or anything else.

ppflager

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense. I guess what I was wondering how/why could someone own that domain without being from the trademark company. I know better than to buy trademarked names. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom