Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Question - could i get in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own a trio of domains, hotmals.net / org / info.

I was planning on putting up a site for champion and well titled malinois (if you don't know what one is: http://malinoisclub.com/ pic: http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/zorro.jpg). There is a very common inside short name for them, mals (hence the domain, hotmals).

Now, it could be perceived to be a typo for hotmail to some people, including some rather aggressive anti-cyber/typo squatting companies out there (hence why I never parked the domains).

My plans are having information on the breed, links to ABMC, Malinois Rescue, and top breeders as well as stories and pictures of successful dogs. I also do plan on having adsense on the site but I will try my hardest to point the ads to related ads (malinois breeders, dog training, German Shepherd, Dutch Shepherds, protection training, ring sport, etc..).

Do yoy think a larger company might try to go after me for this or do you think I might be close to in the clear with the way I am going to go with this. I am going to try to make it as obvious as possible what the site is and what it is about (and honestly, if anyone confuses it with HotMail when I am done then I think they would need to get their eyes checked). :)

EnricoSchaefer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a solid non-infringing use and defense to any typo claims. However, Microsoft is aggressive in protecting its marks and demands a payment of $50,000 in settlement of any cybersquatting claims (although they negotiate down from there). Make sure you don't offer up any ads for email products or services. Good luck.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why don't you ask them?
seriously

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As long as the content doesn't infringe on anyone's TM, you should be fine. If you use the likes of Adsense (or other content detecting ad-serving platform), and your content is correct, they shouldn't display infringing ads.

Most ad servers have options to specifically block words/urls... would be a good idea to look into/use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom